Readers of CN Traveler magazine have voted, naming their favourite destinations of 2016. Topping the list is a bustling, Asian metropolis that offers a dynamic mix of neon-lit skyscrapers and temples.
Interestingly, travellers were particularly smitten by Japan, Austria and Canada’s West Coast, which landed two spots each on the top 10 list.
Take a tour of CN Traveler’s Readers’ Choice Awards for best cities 2016.
2. Kiyomizu-dera historic Buddhist temple with picturesque views of Kyoto.
3. Florence sunny view, Italy. The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore (Basilica of Saint Mary of the Flower) in the foreground.
4. Kapellbrcke with the mountain Pilatus in the background in Luzern, Switzerland.
5. Skyline of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.
6. Gastown steam clock in Vancouver, British Columbia.
7. Beautiful view of historic parliament building in the citycenter of Victoria with colorful flowers on a sunny day, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada.
8. Tourists stand in front of the Leopoldskron Palace where part of the film Sound of Music was shot, in Salzburg, Austria, on August 1, 2014. Every year nearly 300,000 people visit the Trapp Family homes and film locations. The 1965 film about the moving life of the novice, Maria von Trapp and her singing family became an international success.
9. Panoramic view of the Park Güell in Barcelona by twilight, Spain
10. Vienna, Austria’s capital, lies in the country’s east on the Danube River. Its artistic and intellectual legacy was shaped by residents including Mozart, Beethoven and Sigmund Freud.
First Published: Oct 20, 2016 16:35 IST