On reality shows, judges are the real winners
Last month, Shinjini Sengupta, a 16-year-old from Kolkata, reportedly suffered paralysis after being rebuked by judges on a reality show she participated in.
As she recovers, the role of judges on reality TV are being questioned: are they playing on the weaknesses of participants to make shows ‘entertaining’, even as the nation goes crazy about taking part in the same shows and TRPs soar?
Highly-placed sources told Hindustan Times that judges on reality shows get paid anywhere between Rs 75,000 to Rs 4 lakh per episode. With a season consisting of 13 episodes, that’s Rs 9.75 lakh to Rs 52 lakh to take home. Is that a good enough price to be mean on TV?
Niret Alva, president of Miditech that produced Indian Idol, said: “For the big-ticket shows, the money given to judges is really good, though it varies from show to show. Even those on the show don’t know how much their co-judge is getting paid.”
Music composer Ehsaan Noorani said: “Celebrities are becoming ‘professional judges’ because the money is good.” Alva added: “The concept of reality shows has been diluted. They are increasingly based on reality, not talent.”
(With inputs from Mou Chakraborty in Kolkata)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kavita Kaushik took a dig at Rubina Dilaik while saying that she deserves to win the Bigg Boss 14 trophy. Earlier, Kavita walked out of the show after a nasty fight with Rubina.
- Insisting that Rubina never showed any superiority on sets of Shakti, her co-star from the show Sudesh Berry has praised her.
- Randeep Hooda has begun shooting for the web series Inspector Avinash, which is inspired by the life of police officer Avinash Mishra.
- Bigg Boss 14 written update day 100: Rubina wanted to ration food and Eijaz Khan objected to the 'order' saying people can decide for themselves.
- Actor Hina Khan has said that quitting her television show, Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai, was like being 'born again'. She said that now, she is treated just like any other celebrity.
- Abhinav Shukla intervened in a fight between his wife, Rubina Dilaik, and Eijaz Khan. Watch the heated exchange here.