Ousted US Navy secretary Richard Spencer made secret deal with Donald Trump, says Pentagon chief

Updated on Nov 26, 2019 06:08 AM IST
Mark Esper told reporters Richard Spencer, the Navy’s top civilian, admitted he had gone around Esper and Joint Chiefs Chairman Mark Milley.
In March the US president intervened to have Richard Spencer taken out of a Navy jail and placed in a Navy hospital, where he had more freedom.(REUTERS FILE)
In March the US president intervened to have Richard Spencer taken out of a Navy jail and placed in a Navy hospital, where he had more freedom.(REUTERS FILE)
Washington | ByAgence France-Presse

The US defense secretary Monday defended the decision to sack his navy secretary, saying he went behind his back to make a deal with the White House over a convicted Navy SEAL’s future.

Mark Esper told reporters Richard Spencer, the Navy’s top civilian, admitted he had gone around Esper and Joint Chiefs Chairman Mark Milley.

Esper and Milley were holding their own discussions with US President Donald Trump last week about the SEAL’s case, which caused a rare public split between the Pentagon leadership and the US commander in chief over military justice.

“We were completely caught off guard by this information, and realised that it undermined everything we have been discussing with the president,” Esper said of Spencer’s secret talks.

“We have a chain of command that should be followed and that chain of command must be kept informed,” he said.

“Secretary Spencer broke these rules and thus lost my trust and confidence.” Spencer was fired on Sunday amid a dispute over whether Edward Gallagher, a Navy SEAL accused of war crimes in a high-profile case but convicted of a lesser offense, should be demoted and expelled from the elite commando force.

Gallagher, a SEAL sniper and medic, was originally accused of premeditated murder after allegedly stabbing to death a captured, wounded Islamic State fighter in Iraq in May 2017.

After Gallagher went on trial at the beginning of 2019, his case became a cause celebre in conservative media, championed especially by Fox News, and Trump voiced support for him.

In March the US president intervened to have him taken out of a Navy jail and placed in a Navy hospital, where he had more freedom.

In July, he was acquitted of murder by a military jury, but convicted of having posed for a picture next to the body of a dead Islamic State fighter.

He was demoted and the navy moved to remove his official Trident pin, an insignia that signified he remained a member in good standing of the elite group.

Trump intervened again, to order the trident pin and rank restored, saying he would not be expelled from the force.

“Eddie will retire peacefully with all of the honors that he has earned,” Trump tweeted.

Esper conformed that Spencer had threatened to resign over the case, which military experts said risked undermining confidence in the Pentagon’s system of justice.

But Esper said that while he and Milley sought a resolution with Trump, Spencer, a subordinate to both, had tried to cut his own deal with the White House.

Spencer “was completely forthright in admitting what had been going on,” Esper told reporters Monday.

In a letter to Trump on Sunday, Spencer explained his resistance to the president’s interference in the case.

He wrote that he could not “in good conscience obey an order that I believe violates the sacred oath I took... to support and defend the Constitution.” He added that his responsibility was “to maintain good order and discipline” throughout the navy’s ranks. “I regard this as deadly seriously business,” he said.

Esper said Monday that the case had dragged on too long and had become “distracting.” “Eddie Gallagher will retain his Trident as the commander in chief directed, and will retire at the end of this month,” he said.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • FILE PHOTO: A 3D-printed Facebook logo is seen placed on a keyboard in this illustration taken March 25, 2020. 

    Facebook sparks outrage by complying with US police in an abortion case

    'A bad actor took advantage…': Twitter on reports of users' data sold online - 'Can't release encrypted chats' - For tech world watchers, the Nebraska case surely won't be the last. Meta did not provide AFP the Nebraska court's order. The police filing asked the judge to order the company not to tell Burgess's daughter about the search warrant for her Facebook messages.

  • “I would rather lose than win on a false promise,” Rishi Sunak said.

    'I would rather lose than...': Rishi Sunak on UK prime minister race

    Britain's prime ministerial candidate Rishi Sunak has insisted that he would rather lose the Conservative Party leadership race to replace Boris Johnson than win on a false promise on how he plans to tackle the economic crisis. “I would rather lose than win on a false promise,” Sunak, 42, said. Sunak also promised to "go further" than what he has already announced if elected Prime Minister.

  • Forty-two Malian soldiers were killed and 22 injured in an attack. (File Photo)

    Forty-two Malian soldiers killed in suspected Islamist attack

    Forty-two Malian soldiers were killed and 22 injured in an attack near the town of Tessit on Sunday, Mali's government said on Wednesday, blaming an Islamic State affiliate. It was one of the deadliest attacks in recent years for the Malian army, which has been battling a decade-long insurgency by militant groups that have spread across West Africa's Sahel region. Soldiers killed 37 combatants during several hours of heavy fighting, it added.

  • North Korea supremo Kim Jong Un

    Kim Jong Un had suffered fever symptoms, reveals North Korea on defeating Covid

    North Korea's Kim Jong Un declared victory in the battle against COVID-19 on Thursday, with the leader's sister revealing he had suffered from fever and vowing "deadly retaliation" against South Korea which it blames for causing the outbreak. It had instead reported daily numbers of fever patients, which totalled some 4.77 million, but has registered no new such cases since July 29.

  • Japan's minister of state for measures for declining birthrate Masanobu Ogura. (REUTERS/Issei Kato)

    Japan's male minister tried ‘pregnancy belly’ to address falling birthrate issue

    Masanobu Ogura and two other male lawmakers were to keep the 7.3 kg (16 pound) pregnancy bellies on while going about their daily routines, in order to understand the burden on the body of carrying a child, the Sankei newspaper reported at the time.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, August 11, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now