Terror on London Tube: One of two suspects identified | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2018-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Terror on London Tube: One of two suspects identified

A 21-year-old Syrian national and a teenage refugee from Iraq have been detained in connection with the terror attack on London’s subway network that injured 30 people.

world Updated: Sep 19, 2017 00:27 IST
Prasun Sonwalkar
Members of the media wait outside Aladdins, a fast food restaurant at Hounslow in west London on September 18, 2017. The two suspects detained over last week's London subway bombing are an 18-year-old refugee from Iraq and a 21-year old from Syria, both of whom were fostered by a British couple. The teenager was detained on Saturday at the port of Dover and the 21-year-old was held later the same day in Hounslow.
Members of the media wait outside Aladdins, a fast food restaurant at Hounslow in west London on September 18, 2017. The two suspects detained over last week's London subway bombing are an 18-year-old refugee from Iraq and a 21-year old from Syria, both of whom were fostered by a British couple. The teenager was detained on Saturday at the port of Dover and the 21-year-old was held later the same day in Hounslow. (AP)

One of the two suspects arrested following Friday’s terror attack on London’s subway network has been identified as Yahyah Farroukh, who was held from a house in Hounslow on Saturday.

Farroukh, 21, has not been named by Scotland Yard but images and details of the Syrian national have been widely published in the British news media. Suspects are not named by police until charges are framed.

The other suspect arrested for the attack on a crowded London Underground train at Parsons Green station is an 18-year-old, who was held at the port of Dover and is reported to be a refugee from Iraq.

Farroukh was photographed with police officers outside a fast food outlet at Hounslow in west London. Both suspects were held under the Terrorism Act and questioned at a London police station even as searches continued on Monday at various places.

Police officers also searched an address understood to be Farroukh’s home at Stanwell in Surrey, near Heathrow.

Farroukh’s images from his Facebook page were widely circulated.

Reports said he and the teenage suspect had spent time with carers Penelope and Ronald Jones, whose home at Sunbury-on-Thames in Surrey was raided by armed police on Saturday morning. The couple has been honored by Queen Elizabeth II for fostering more than 200 children, including refugees from the Middle East.

British police and spy agencies have not found evidence that the attack was ordered or organised by a recognised militant group, US and British government sources familiar with the investigation were quoted as saying by Reuters.

Following the attack, the Islamic State news agency Amaq claimed responsibility for the bombing.

On Monday, five US and British government sources said it was possible the attack was somehow “inspired” by IS via its extensive array of internet-based propaganda and instruction materials. But they said no evidence had emerged of any direct connection between the attack and IS, or any organised militant group.

Interior minister Amber Rudd said the two arrests suggested it was not a “lone-wolf” attack but there was no evidence IS was involved.

Friday’s bombing was the fifth major attack regarded by authorities as a terrorist incident in Britain this year. IS claimed credit for other previous attacks, including two in London and one at a concert by American singer Ariana Grande in Manchester.

(With inputs from agencies)

Recommended Section