WikiLeaks claims ‘extortion’ over leaked Assange footage

Kristinn Hrafnsson, editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks, accused Ecuador authorities of gathering thousands of photographs and videos, which had found their way into the hands of a group in Spain, who were demanding $3 million not to publish them.
The editor also accused embassy staff of photocopying a legal document belonging to Assange’s lawyer Aitor Martinez.(AFP PHOTO)
The editor also accused embassy staff of photocopying a legal document belonging to Assange’s lawyer Aitor Martinez.(AFP PHOTO)
Published on Apr 10, 2019 09:29 PM IST
Copy Link
Press Trust of India, London | ByPress Trust of India

WikiLeaks on Wednesday claimed that it was being blackmailed by “dubious characters” who had obtained security camera footage of founder Julian Assange inside Ecuador’s embassy in London.

Kristinn Hrafnsson, editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks, accused Ecuador authorities of gathering thousands of photographs and videos, which then found their way into the hands of a group in Spain, who were demanding $3 million (2.7 million euros) not to publish them.

“We learned some individuals in Spain were passing around information, that they had a massive trove of documents... from inside the embassy,” he told reporters in London.

“I asked them what documents they had and I got an email back. He said ‘this material has a price’.” The documents include thousands of photographs and gigabytes of video footage showing Assange meeting with lawyers and visitors and of him receiving a medical check-up.

“It’s not hard to see that as extortion,” said Hrafnsson, adding that the Spanish police had opened an investigation.

“Of much greater concern is this material gathering and spying by the Ecuadorian government,” he said, calling it “illegal and extremely unethical”.

“Since (President Lenin) Moreno took power in Ecuador, Julian Assange has been living in a Truman Show type situation,” he claimed.

The editor also accused embassy staff of photocopying a legal document belonging to Assange’s lawyer Aitor Martinez.

WikiLeaks believes that the United States is working with Ecuador to extradite Assange to face charges, and that the embassy documents were “quite likely shared with the Trump administration”, although it offered no proof of this.

The group, which rose to prominence by publishing leaked US intelligence documents, said that “very reliable sources” had told them Ecuador was last week preparing to kick Assange out of its London embassy, where he was granted refuge by previous president Rafael Correa in 2012.

“The only reason why this was averted, in our opinion, is that we learned about it,” said Hrafnsson.

Ecuador said on Tuesday it was reassessing Assange’s asylum claim, revocation of which would lead to his arrest by the British authorities for skipping bail.

The Australian sought refuge at Ecuador’s embassy seven years ago to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he faced accusations of sexual assault that prosecutors in Stockholm have since abandoned.

Assange has refused to leave the embassy to avoid extradition to the United States to face charges over his website publishing huge caches of hacked State Department and Pentagon files in 2010.

The 47-year-old Australian, who denies the rape claims, said he feared Sweden would pass him on to US authorities if he was extradited. The Swedish chief prosecutor dropped proceedings against him in 2017.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Railway station staff disinfecting Pyongyang station premises as a prevention measure against the Covid-19 coronavirus.

    Covid-19 outbreak in North Korea worrying for new variants, says WHO

    The World Health Organization has said that the Covid-19 outbreak in North Korea is worrying for new variants of the virus, as the country is battling a rapid spread of a mysterious fever since late April. On Wednesday, the country reported 232,880 more cases of the mysterious fever and six more deaths, taking the infection tally and toll to over 1.7 million and 62 respectively.

  • Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO), speaks during a news conference in Geneva.

    WHO chief as Covid cases rise in 4 regions: ‘increasingly difficult to know…’

    A decline in genome sequencing and testing for coronavirus disease (Covid-19) has made it “increasingly difficult” to know where the virus is and how it is mutating, World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhenom Ghebreyesus on Tuesday as cases have risen over the last week in four out of six WHO regions. He also expressed concern over the first reported Covid outbreak in North Korea, with more than 1.7 million suspected cases since late April.

  • The seven-day average percentage of positive Covid-19 test results rose to 5.18 per cent in New York City on Monday.

    New York City lifts Covid-19 alert level to 'high'

    New York City, the largest city in the United States, raised its Covid-19 alert level from "medium" to "high" on Tuesday, as infections continue to go up in recent weeks. The guidance requires New Yorkers to wear a face mask in all public indoor settings and crowded outdoor settings and consider avoiding higher-risk activities. New York City raised its Covid-19 alert level to "medium" from "low" in early May.

  • As the video drew flak, TikToker Humaira Asghar said she did not start the wildfire and there is nothing wrong is shooting a video. 

    'Disturbing, disastrous': TikTokers in Pakistan starting wildfires for videos

    A video of Pakistani actor and TikToker Humaira Asghar has drawn flak on social media as Asghar was shot walking in a silver ball gown in front of a forest fire raging behind her. This in Pakistan has in fact become a trend as earlier this month a man was arrested in Abbottabad for intentionally starting a forest fire for the background of a video.

  • File photo: Ukrainian service members operate a 2A65 Msta-B howitzer during artillery and anti-aircraft drills near the border with Russian-annexed Crimea in the Kherson region. 

    Ukraine war entering 'protracted phase': Defence minister tells NATO, EU

    Ukraine's defence minister Oleksiy Reznikov said that the ongoing war in his country is entering a protracted phase. In his speech to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization secretary-general Jens Stoltenberg and European Union defence ministers, Reznikov said on Tuesday, "Russia is preparing for a long-term military operation." Reznikov added that Russian forces are currently building fortifications in the Zaporizhzhia and Kherson regions to move to defence if necessary.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, May 18, 2022