Australian Minister defends revocation of Haneef's visa

Australian Govt's decision to revoke Mohamed Haneef's visa does not override the decision of a magistrate to grant him bail, says country's Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews.
HT Image
HT Image
Updated on Jul 17, 2007 08:28 AM IST
Copy Link
PTI | By, Melbourne

Australian Government's decision to revoke Indian doctor Mohamed Haneef's visa does not override the decision of a magistrate to grant him bail, country's Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews said on Tueday.

Defending Monday's decision to cancel Haneef's 457 temporary skills visa, Andrews said this has been done because he "reasonably suspected" that Haneef had an association with people involved in terrorism.

Yesterday the minister intervened to keep Haneef behind bars just hours after he was granted bail by Brisbane Magistrates Court on a charge of recklessly providing support to terrorism.

However, Andrews said it cast no aspersion on Haneef's guilt or innocence. "Nothing that I have done has said anything one way or the other about the innocence or the guilt to be determined by the court of Haneef," he told Channel 7.

"What I have said, though, is that given the information that I have got and given my responsibility to the national security and the national interest, then I didn't believe I had any other alternative but to remove his passport," he added.

Haneef would receive a fair trial, Andrews said.

"There's trials that happen every day that the media have commented on. But those trials go ahead, and we have a system, and the judges of the courts in Australia are very good at ensuring a fair trial," he said.

After being held in custody for almost two weeks under anti-terrorism laws, 27-year-old Haneef was charged on Saturday with "recklessly" supporting a terrorism organisation, for providing a mobile phone SIM card to a relative involved in the failed UK car bomb attacks.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • An employee of the vaccine company Bavarian Nordic shows a picture of a vaccine virus on a display in a laboratory of the company in Martinsried near Munich, Germany

    Monekypox spreads to over 20 nations; Global tally nears 200: Full list here

    More than 20 countries across the globe have reported detections of Monkeypox cases so far taking the total tally to nearly 200, the World Health Organisation. It had reported its first infection on May 18. Canada: Canada has a total of 25 infections of Monkeypox. Spain: The European nation has so far logged 84 cases of disease. The number saw a significant rise on May 26 when the country logged 25 cases.

  • Japan’s decision comes days after Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Japanese counterpart Fumio Kishida agreed to enhance bilateral security and defence cooperation, including in defence manufacturing, during a meeting on the margins of the Quad Leaders Summit in Tokyo. (ANI PHOTO.)

    Japan to allow lethal defence equipment exports to India, 11 countries: Report

    New Delhi: Japan plans to allow the exports of lethal military equipment, including missiles and jets, to India and 11 other countries, a move that could bolster efforts by New Delhi and Tokyo to cooperate in defence manufacturing. Regulations will be eased by March next year to allow the exports to India, Australia and some European and Southeast Asian nations, according to a report by Nikkei. It still bans exports of lethal weapons.

  • An employee works on a vaccine based on the monkeypox vaccine that has already been developed by the vaccine company Bavarian Nordic at a laboratory of the company in Martinsried near Munich, Germany.

    Nearly 200 cases of monkeypox in more than 20 countries: WHO

    The World Health Organisation says nearly 200 cases of monkeypox have been reported in more than 20 countries not usually known to have outbreaks of the unusual disease, but described the epidemic as “containable” and proposed creating a stockpile to equitably share the limited vaccines and drugs available worldwide.

  • Two women take a selfie at an art exhibit honouring her late colleague Palestinian journalist Shireen Abu Akleh in Jenin city in the occupied West Bank.

    Will go to ICC over journalist's killing in West Bank: Al Jazeera

    The Al Jazeera news network says it will submit a case file to the International Criminal Court on the killing of reporter Shireen Abu Akleh, who was shot dead earlier this month during an Israeli raid in the occupied West Bank. The Qatar-based network and the Palestinian Authority have accused Israeli soldiers of deliberately killing her. Israel rejects those allegations as a “blatant lie."

  • Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi (front) disembarking from his plane at Apia International Airport as he arrives for an official visit to Samoa. (AFP)

    China criticises US as tensions rise in South Pacific

    China on Friday accused US Secretary of State Antony Blinken of “smearing” the country and exaggerating the “China threat” after the top American diplomat said Beijing was undermining global order, adding that US sees it as a “long-term challenge”. During a globally-tracked 45-minute China policy speech at George Washington University on Thursday, Blinken said the US was determined to avoid conflict or “a new Cold War” but wanted Beijing to adhere to international rules.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Friday, May 27, 2022