Delhi: Man rapes 4-year-old girl, tries to kill her, held | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi: Man rapes 4-year-old girl, tries to kill her, held

delhi Updated: Apr 25, 2016 16:10 IST
HT Correspondent

Police have arrested a man for allegedly raping and trying to kill a four-year-old girl in Delhi’s Kalyanpuri area.(Representational Image)

A four-year-old girl is fighting for life at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) after her neighbour allegedly raped and strangled her at his home in east Delhi’s Kalyanpuri on Saturday afternoon.

The accused attempted to kill the girl, fearing she might land him in jail. Presuming she had died, he tried to leave the girl at her house. He was caught and thrashed by the locals after the girl’s grandmother saw him and raised an alarm, said the police.

The police have arrested the accused, identified as Ravi Kumar, 26. Ravi is a tenant on the second floor of the building, where the girl lives with her parents and grandmother on the third floor. He was booked under the relevant sections of POCSO Act and the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

The girl’s parents work in a private company. They were at work, when the girl was reportedly attacked.

A police officer said the crime came to light on Saturday evening from Lal Bahadur Shastri hospital, where the girl was admitted in a critical condition. A police team arrived at the hospital and learnt that the girl was sexually assaulted. The doctors said she was semi-conscious when brought to the hospital.

“The girl was referred to AIIMS. Her condition is said to be serious, though she is showing signs of recovery. She had received some injuries in her private parts,” the officer said.

On Saturday around 3 pm, the girl was sleeping with her grandmother in their house when Ravi took her away. He then raped her in his room on the second floor. As the girl started crying in pain, Ravi got scared and gagged her. The girl fell unconscious when he strangled her.

“Ravi panicked when the girl became motionless. He went upstairs, tried to leave the girl on the bed next to her grandmother. But her grandmother woke up and raised an alarm,” said the officer. He said the child was reportedly bleeding.

The preliminary probe in the case revealed that Ravi was a habitual drinker and worked at a factory nearby. He shared his room with his friends. “Prima facie, he was drunk when he committed the crime. We are waiting for his medical report for a confirmation,” the officer said.