Continuing its winning streak in Delhi, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Tuesday bagged five seats in the May 15 MCD by-elections to 13 wards in Delhi.
As it happened:
Final seat tally
|Names of MCD wards||Winning candidate & party|
|Quamruddin Nagar||Ashok Bharadwaj (Congress)|
|Shalimar Bagh (North)||BM Bhandari (BJP)|
|Ballimaran||Mohd Saddiq (AAP)|
|Navada||Krishan Gehlot (BJP)|
|Vikas Nagar||Ashok Kumar (AAP)|
|Nanakpura||Anil Malik (AAP)|
|Munirka||Yogita Rathee (Congress)|
|Bhati||Rajender Singh Tanwar (Independent)|
|Tehkhand||Abhishek Bidhuri (AAP)|
|Khichripur||Anand Kumar (Congress)|
|Jhilmil||Pankaj Luthra (Congress)|
|Wazirpur||Mahender Nagpal (BJP)|
- Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal tweeted: “MCD ruled by BJP-Cong. Outsider AAP wins max seats in by-election. Thanks Delhi for reaffirming faith. Ab MCD election mein sabhi seat jeetni hai ( sic).”
- We are grateful to people for supporting us. It’s a great win as these wards weren’t traditionally ours, says Ajay Maken
- AAP’s Mohd Saddiq wins from Ballimaran ward.
- Congress bags Qamaruddin Nagar ward as Ashok Bharadwaj defeats BJP’s Anil Sinha by 7000+ votes
- Major win for Congress as Anand Kumar defeats BJP’s Vinod Kumar Binny in Khichripur ward.
- AAP’s candidate Anil Malik wins from Nanak Pura ward.
- AAP’s candidate Ramesh registers win from Matiala ward.
- AAP’s Ashok Kumar wins from Vikas Nagar ward.
- Congress registers second win as Yogita Rathee wins from Munirka ward by over 700 votes.
- Independent candidate Rajender Singh Tanwar wins from Bhati ward.
- AAP opens account as Abhishek Bidhuri wins from Tekhand ward by 1,555 votes.
- BJP’s Mahender Nagpal wins from Wazirpur ward by 3,608 votes.
- Congress’ Pankaj Luthra registers win from Jhilmil ward by over 2,400 votes.
- BJP’s BM Bhandari registers win from North Shalimar Bagh ward in Delhi Municipal bypolls.
- BJP’s Krishan Gehlot wins from Navada ward by over 4,800 votes.
- Early trends indicate Congress and AAP leading in 5 wards each, BJP in 2 wards, Independent in 1 seat.
- Counting of votes underway for 13 municipal wards which witnessed polling on Sunday.
As many as 45.9% of the 6.68 lakh eligible voters exercised their franchise in the high-stake bypolls for the wards falling under three corporations — south Delhi (7), north Delhi (4) and east Delhi (2).
The bypolls are being billed as a litmus test for popularity of the AAP government.
Both the BJP and the Congress have exuded confidence of impressive performance at the civic hustings.
The 13 wards which went to the bypolls are Quamruddin Nagar, Shalimar Bagh (North), Ballimaran, Nawada, Vikas Nagar, Matiala, Nanakpura, Munirka, Bhati, Tehkhand, Khichripur, Jhilmil and Wazirpur.
The by-elections have been necessitated due to 13 councillors getting elected to Delhi Assembly in 2013 and 2015.
The Bhati ward had recorded the highest voting percentage of 64.36, while Matiala registered the lowest of 33%, an election commission official said.
The MCD which was trifurcated in 2012, has been BJP-ruled for the last 10 years.
AAP, making its debut in the civic bypolls is hoping to replicate its Assembly polls magic that will set its ground for the 2017 MCD elections.