March 2016: The enforcement directorate registered a money-laundering case against Vijay Mallya and officials of IDBI bank in Mumbai for causing a loss of Rs900 crore to the public sector bank. An agency source said IDBI gave Mallya loan, despite negative credit ratings and financial troubles of Kingfisher Airlines
March 2: Mallya escaped the country. Flees to UK
June: The special court for Prevention of Money Laundering Act declared Mallya a proclaimed offender – an accused against whom a warrant of arrest has been issued has absconded or is concealing himself, so such a warrant cannot be executed
August: The ED registered a fresh case against him for defaulting on Rs6,027 crore taken as loan from various banks.The case was filed based on a complaint filed by the State Bank of India, which led the consortia of 17 banks that gave loans to Kingfisher Airlines
- The ED has provisionally attached movable and immovable properties, in excess of Rs1,500 crore, belonging to Mallya and his United Brewaries (Holding) Limited
- This includes:
- Bank balance of Rs34 crore
- A flat in Bangalore (2,291 sqft) and Mumbai (1,300 sqft)
- Industrial plot in Chennai (4.5 acres)
- Coffee plantation land in Coorg (28.75 acres)
- Residential and commercial constructions in UB CITY and Kingfisher Tower in Bangalore (840,279 sqft)
- Goa villa sold for Rs73 crore
- Alibaug bungalow worth Rs100 crore attached and taken into ED possession
November: A special prevention of money laundering act (PMLA) court declared Mallya a “fugitive” and permitted the ED to attach his domestic properties, shares and debentures.
February 2017: The ED obtained a Letter Rogatory to get details on properties and accounts held by liquor baron Vijay Mallya in Switzerland.
April: After three failed auctions, banks managed to sell the Kingfisher Villa in Goa to actor-producer Sachiin Joshi for Rs73 crore through a private treaty. Mallya was arrested by Scotland Yard and was released after providing a bail bond worth 650,000 pounds
May 18: The ED took possession of businessman Vijay Mallya’s farmhouse located on the beachfront in the coastal town of Alibaug.