Woman steps forward after 40 years to accuse director Roman Polanski of child sex abuse | world cinema | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 14, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Woman steps forward after 40 years to accuse director Roman Polanski of child sex abuse

A third woman has come forward to accuse Oscar-winning director Roman Polanski of sexually assaulting her when she was a minor forty years ago in the 1970s.

world cinema Updated: Aug 16, 2017 19:38 IST
This file photo taken on May 25, 2013 shows French director Roman Polanski listening to a journalist's question during a press conference for the film Venus in Fur presented in Competition at the 66th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes.
This file photo taken on May 25, 2013 shows French director Roman Polanski listening to a journalist's question during a press conference for the film Venus in Fur presented in Competition at the 66th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes. (AFP)

A third woman has come forward to accuse Oscar-winning director Roman Polanski of sexually assaulting her when she was a minor forty years ago in the 1970s.

According to The Independent, the woman identified only as Robin, said in a news conference that she had been “sexually victimized” by Polanski in 1973, when she was just 16. She is the third woman to accuse him of child abuse.

Attorney Gloria Allred (L) addresses the media as Robin (one name), another accuser of Roman Polanski who alleges she was 16 years old when sexually victimized by Mr. Polanski, wipes a tear from her eye, during a press conference in Los Angeles, California. (AFP)

Reading from a prepared statement, she said she had told a friend about the assault on the day after it happened.

“The reason, with this exception, that I kept it to myself is that I didn’t want my father to do something that might cause him to go to prison for the rest of his life,” she added.

She further noted that her decision to come forward after so many years was because she was “infuriated” that a statutory rape case against Polanski was dropped after his victim asked a Los Angeles court to end it.

In 1978, The Pianist director fled the US after admitting statutory rape of a 13-year-old girl.

His victim, Samantha Geimer, asked a Los Angeles court in June to end the case against him. Geimer said she had forgiven the filmmaker for the assault and wanted closure for herself and her family.

Samantha Geimer waits in court to deliver a statement in the 40 year-old case against filmmaker Roman Polanski in Los Angeles, California. (REUTERS)

Robin, who appeared with her lawyer Gloria Allred in Los Angeles on Tuesday, cannot sue Polanski in a criminal court because the statute of limitation has passed.

The Oscar-winning director, who is a citizen of Poland and of France, has been a fugitive since.

In 2010, British actor Charlotte Lewis accused Polanski of sexually assaulting her in Paris in 1983, when she was 16 years old.

She was also represented by lawyer Gloria Allred.