Theatre, food, art: 10 things to do in Mumbai this weekend
Your weekend. Our guide.HT48HRS_Special Updated: Nov 24, 2016 19:26 IST
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 25
1) Food and drinks: Crafted Concoctions: Pick from Irish Banana (banana infused Jamesons), The Chameleon (gin, butterfly pea tea from Thailand and tonic), Grillopolis (grilled pineapple with basil and clove vodka) and Masala Martini (whiskey infused with spices).
Where: Toast — Bistro and Bar, Marol, Andheri (E); Call: 7045902799
Price: Rs 400 onward; When: 7.30am to 1.30am
2) Travel: Tiger Safari: Make your way to Bandhavgarh National Park this Friday to see one of largest populations of tigers and leopards in India. Witness the predators in their naural habitat over the weekend, and head back to Mumbai on Sunday night.
Where: Bandhavgarh National Park, Umaria district, Madhya Pradesh; Call: 86920 86927
Price:Rs 17,000 per person; When: 6am onward
3) Theatre: Nanagiar Koothu: Catch the story of Ahalya, a character from the Ramayana depicted through Koodiyattam, an 1,800-year-old Sanskrit theatre art form, traditionally performed only by women. Actor and dancer Usha Nangiar will present the story as a mime artist.
Where: Prithvi Theatre, Janki Kutir, Juhu ; Call: 2614 9546
Entry: Free; When: 6pm
SATURDAY; NOVEMBER 26
4) Music: Saagara Beats of the Ocean: Polish clarinetist Waclaw Zimpel’s band, Saagara, combines jazz music with electronica and Carnatic classical music. The band will perform their signature fusion compositions.
Where: Tata Theatre, NCPA, Nariman Point; Call: 6622 3737
Tickets: Rs 500; When: 7pm
5) Food and drink: Cutting Chai: Enjoy blends such as white tea, green tea, oolong and herbal tea. Pair it with an array of dishes including Burghul upma, poha, and marbled eggs (tea-infused coddled eggs).
Where: Tea Trails, Tejpal Road, Vile Parle (E); Call: 9022337766
Price: Rs 600 onward; When: 9.30am to 12pm
6) Screening: The Godfather Part III: Catch the final instalment of filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola’s classic mafia family trilogy, The Godfather. Starring Al Pacino as Don Corleone, the film sees the don seeking atonement for his sins while taking a young protégé under his wing.
Where: Matterden CFC, NM Joshi Marg, Lower Parel; Call: 2492 3396
Tickets: Rs 250 onward; When: 7pm
7) Art: Gab di ki Goosa: In this solo show, Baroda-based artist Nimesh Patel highlights how machines are integral parts of contemporary life, and how human beings are mechanised due to the contemporary value system.
Where: Coomaraswamy Hall, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya, Kala Ghoda
Call: 2284 4484; Entry: Free; When: 11am to 7pm
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 27
8) Comedy: 420 Project: Comedians Sumukhi Suresh, Jeeya Sethi, Kamal Trilok Singh, Piyush Sharma and Abhishek Upmanyu will come together to explore the cunning nature of mankind. Employing physical as well as spoken comedy, the comedians will prove why man is the most untrustworthy animal.
Where: The Hive, Huma Mansion, next to Ahmed Bakery, Khar (W); Call: 96199 62969
Tickets: Rs 300; When: 8.30pm
9) Theatre: The Darkroom Project: The evening will see the staging of acclaimed plays about women’s subjugation. The stories featured are Premchand’s Kafan, Saadat Hasan Manto’s Khol Do, Lihaaf by Ismat Chugtai, and The Little Match-Girl by Hans Christian Andersen.
Where: Andheri Base, Link Road, Andheri (W); Call: 3091 6003
Tickets: Rs 250; When: 7pm
10) Art: Art for Animals: Artists such as Jaidev Biswal, Bandana Kumari, Deepak Shinde, Vikas Singh and Devji Shrimali come together to depict the friendship between animal and humans, to support animal rights activism by PETA.
Where: The Art Hub, Atria Mall, Dr AB Road, Worli; Call: 6625 1333
Entry: Free ; When: 11am to 10pm
First Published: Nov 24, 2016 00:00 IST