Who said what on poll results: Accept verdict with humility, says Rahul
The Mamata Banerjee-led TMC surged ahead of the Left-Congress alliance in West Bengal, BJP was ahead in Assam while AIADMK and LDF were leading their rivals in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, according to early trends during the counting of votes for the four state assembly polls.assembly elections Updated: May 20, 2016 11:39 IST
The Mamata Banerjee-led TMC surged ahead of the Left-Congress alliance in West Bengal, BJP was ahead in Assam while AIADMK and LDF were leading their rivals in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, according to early trends during the counting of votes for the four state assembly polls.
Here are reactions from political leaders on the results:
- Mamata Banerjee, TMC chief: We will take oath on May 27. A session of the assembly will be called before May 29... No corruption is there in Bengal. It is a ‘corruption-less’ state.
- Rahul Gandhi, Congress vice-president: We accept the verdict of people with humility. My best wishes to the parties that have won the elections
- VS Achuthanandan, CPI(M) leader: This is a vote against the corrupt and those who failed to protect the dignity of women.
- Badruddin Ajmal, AIUDF chief: Want to congratulate BJP. We have lost because of Congress party.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi: Had a telephone conversation with Jayalalithaa ji and congratulated her on her victory. Also conveyed my best wishes to her... Spoken to @MamataOfficial ji & congratulated her on the impressive victory. My best wishes to her as she begins her 2nd term.
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Madhya Pradesh CM: Trends show that Assam will make history, BJP is heading towards a big win.
- Ram Madhav, BJP: Want to thank people of Assam for giving us 48-49% vote, the government is committed to development of the state.
- Sarbanda Sonowal, BJP’s Assam CM candidate: People of Assam were tired of Congress... With the blessings of PM @narendramodi, we will perform well.
- PC Chacko, Congress: Looks like we will have to concede defeat in Kerala; yes, responsibility will be fixed.
- Shrikant Sharma, BJP: For sure the lotus is blooming in Assam. The BJP is very hopeful of positive results in Assam. I believe that BJP will with complete majority in Assam.
- MJ Akbar, BJP spokesperson: Modi’s governance was the x-factor that gave us advantage. The BJP got votes from rural pockets and the poor. People have realised that Modi stands for development.
- Akhilesh Pratap, Congress: Why Modi’s governance did not have impact outside Assam? The BJP is getting votes where its communal agenda is getting successful.
- PL Punia, Congress: Except for West Bengal, every state has voted for change.
First Published: May 19, 2016 09:57 IST