BJP leader’s death: Curfew clamped in MP village after mob turns violent
Curfew has been clamped in Barghat block of Seoni district on Monday after villagers resorted to arson and stone pelting after the death of a local BJP leader.bhopal Updated: Oct 05, 2015 21:11 IST
Curfew has been clamped in Barghat block of Seoni district on Monday after villagers resorted to arson and stone pelting after the death of a local Bharatiya Janata Party leader.
Kapurchand Thakre, former sarpanch of village Lohara and Barghat block general secretary of BJP, was beaten up by two men on October 3 following road accident. He succumbed to the injuries, while undergoing treatment at a hospital in Nagpur in the wee hours of Monday.
Angry supporters of the BJP leader along with villagers forced the traders to close their shops in the block in protest. Later some protestors torched four-five two-wheelers and lobbed stones at a private bus.
The mob also clashed with the police and district officials and pelted them with stones. As tension escalated curfew was clamped in Barghat, Barghat town inspector GS Uikey said.
According to police, on October 3 night when Thakre was returning to his village, his car hit a bike, following which the two bikers, Zahir Khan and Riyaz Khan, allegedly pulled Thakre out of the car and physically and verbally abused him.
Thakre sustained serious injuries in the assault and was admitted to a community health centre at Barghat by the passersby. He was later shifted to Nagpur for treatment.
Following the huge protests, Zahir Khan and Riyaz Khan were arrested and sent to the jail on Monday, Uikey said.
Meanwhile, two companies of special armed forces, one each from Jabalpur and Chhindwara, have been rushed to Seoni to support the local police.
Those responsible for tension will be brought to book: DGP
State director general of police (DGP) Surendra Sinh has said the people behind Barghat (Seoni) tension will be brought to book. Prohibitory orders had been imposed in the block before curfew was clamped in Barghat, he said.
“The culprits are being identified and tough action will be taken against them for breaking law,” he said, while addressing a press conference in Jabalpur.
Sinh was in Jabalpur to review the police preparedness in Jabalpur, Rewa and Shahdol ranges to prevent any untoward incidents during Durgotsav and Muharram, when religious processions are taken out in the areas.
Talking about the developments related to Petlawad (Jhabua) explosion, Singh said the police in all the districts have been asked to keep a watch on people who possess explosives user licence. “After the Petlawad (Jhabua) blast, police sought a district-wise list of people who hold blasting explosives user licence from the concerned authorities,” he said.
First Published: Oct 05, 2015 21:11 IST