Akshay Kumar to produce Priyadarshan’s next, filmmaker says ‘his doors were always open for me, but I did not go to him’
Filmmaker Priyadarshan has said Akshay Kumar always had his “doors open” for him but he did not approach the actor earlier for the lack of a good project. Akshay has collaborated with the director after more than a decade for another comedy - only, this time the actor will be producing the film instead of featuring in it.
Elaborating on why it took a decade for the hit duo to get back together, Priyadarshan told Mid Day, “All these years, I was afraid whether I had the right subject to approach him. His doors were always open for me, but I did not go to him. He is still the same, constantly in search of good content. I have had bitter experiences in Bollywood where I have found it difficult to [reach out to] certain stars. After doing so many films, I don’t want to beg stars to work with me. I would rather work with people who like to team up with me.”
“Akshay and I were supposed to take the film on floors by December. But, due to the current crisis, my films have got delayed. This movie will roll by July or August,” the filmmaker added.
The casting is likely to begin once they are free from their current projects. With Akshay has begun shooting Bell Bottom in Scotland, Priyadarshan is wrapping up the shoot of Hungama 2.
Priyadarshan gave Akshay one of his earliest comic hits, Hera Pheri in 2000 and then again in 2006 for Bhaagam Bhaag. They also came together for Bhool Bhulaiyya in 2007. Their last project together was in 2010 when Akshay featured in the lead role for Khatta Meetha.
Last year, talking about Akshay, Priyadarshan had told PTI, “I have done 47 films with Mohanlal and after him, Akshay became the most comfortable person for me to work with because he completely trusts me. He doesn’t ask what I’m making. He doesn’t want to know what I’m doing. He asks me ‘Sir are you excited?’ and I say ‘yes’ and we just start working. That confidence is there so I have a responsibility towards him. He trusts me so much that I make sure it works. That trust works well for us. He always says he learns a lot while working with me. His body language has become better. He has evolved a lot. We did Khatta Meetha and after that he started playing a lot of these middle class characters like Padman and others.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan, who welcomed their second son earlier this month, got a visit from Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora and Karisma Kapoor.
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.
- Alia Bhatt has shared a sunshiny new picture on Instagram and she looks stunning as ever. Check it out and try to spot a cute little cat in the picture as well.
- Suhana Khan spent her Saturday night with friends in New York. Shah Rukh Khan's daughter took to her Instagram Stories and shared a glimpse of her whereabouts.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.