Badhaai Ho actor Surekha Sikri hasn’t worked in 10 months, here’s why
Each time you win an award, it is a different feeling,” says veteran actor Surekha Sikri, who won the National Film Award for the Best Supporting Actress for Badhaai Ho (2018). This is her third National Award after Tamas (1988) and Mammo (1995) in the same category. Ask her if she has any plans to celebrate getting the National Award and she laughs. “Celebration toh yahi hai that I am very happy in my heart. I have been meeting my friends and family.”
The 74-year-old acclaimed actor hasn’t signed any new film or TV show currently as she has been unwell for a while. “I had a brain stroke ten months ago and I have been recovering since then. I fell down and hit my head in the bathroom while shooting in Mahableshwar. I have not been able to work due to my illness. The doctors say that I will be alright soon,” she shares.
Sikri, who played the cantankerous grandmother in Badhaai Ho, opines that Badhaai Ho’s script was marvellous. “I think, it should have won the Best Screenplay Award as well as the script is the king and today content rules. The film has a family drama with a universal appeal. Bahut gharon mein relationships kuch aise hi hote hai. I am humbled that kuch logon ne mujhe is laayak samjha to give me an award. I am quite thrilled. I realised so many people love me and it is because of Badhaai Ho, I think.”
She has also won the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1989 for her contributions towards Hindi theatre and many awards for the negative role of Dadisa, in the primetime soap Balika Vadhu. She shares that it is quite satisfying for an actor to get an award. “All awards are important as they speak of people’s appreciation for one’s work.” Talking about her last two National Awards, Sikri says, “The first time I won the National Award for Tamas, I was over the moon. It was a huge deal. Winning such prestigious awards changes the way people look at you, think of you. More people want to work with you,” she signs off.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter Suhana Khan dropped a new picture with a friend and upped her glamour game. She is currently in New York.
- Actor Vidya Balan has said that it has taken her time to accept her body because, at one point in her life, she used to hate it.
- Kangana Ranaut, who earlier accused Vikas Bahl of inappropriate behaviour, thanked him for turning her career around with Queen. She said that he 'played a very significant role' in shaping her destiny.
- Shahid Kapoor aced the Centre of Gravity challenge, much to the surprise of his wife Mira Rajput, who called him a 'smooth operator'. Watch the video here.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has reaffirmed her wish to reconcile with the actor in a new interview, adding that she is ready to mend her ties with his brother Shamas.
- Rhea Kapoor dedicated an adorable Instagram post to her boyfriend Karan Boolani. She shared pictures of her showering him with kisses. See his reply here.
- Taimur Ali Khan was photographed in Mumbai on Sunday. The star kid was seen out with his father Saif Ali Khan and half-sister Sara Ali Khan.
- Sara Ali Khan shared two new pictures from brother Ibrahim's birthday party. More pictures were shared by one of Ibrahim's friends.