Cancer survivor Nafisa Ali shares hard-hitting post asking for work, says she sees herself in Zaira Wasim
Actor, former beauty queen and politician Nafisa Ali Sodhi, in an Instagram post has written about wanting better roles as a senior actor, and has also commented on actor Zaira Wasim’s recent decision to quit films.
She wrote, “I am Nafisa Ali Sodhi and I would like an elegant role to portray in Indian cinema. So looking for a perfect script as a senior actor, I need to work to express my emotions. I will not be dictated to.” The cancer survivor shared a black-and-white portrait of herself on the photo sharing site on Monday.
Nafisa has appeared in films such as Junoon (1979) with Shashi Kapoor, Major Saab with Amitabh Bachchan (1998), Bewafaa (2005), Life In A... Metro (2007) and Yamla Pagla Deewana (2010) with Dharmendra. She was last seen in Saheb, Biwi aur Gangster 3. She won the Femina Miss India title in 1976.
She also spoke about Zaira Wasim’s sudden announcement that she is quitting the film industry to focus on her faith. Nafisa told Zoom, “I was just remembering myself at that stage of my life. When I was young and film Junoon was made, it was such a huge success and I had so many offers. I remember I had no family support, I was alone in Bombay trying to find work.”
She continued, “I saw myself when I was 20 and I just felt for her (Zaira). I thought let me put this message out that work is something which is your choice, it is your freedom and your independent right. There are many pressures young people are surrounded by, but if you have a choice, make sure you think and make the right choice.”
Zaira’s decision has been met with mixed reactions by her industry peers. Some, like Raveena Tandon and Anupam Kher have been critical, while others, like her The Sky is Pink team have been supportive.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Mika Singh talked about marriage on Indian Pro Music League. He said that he is the ‘only forever bachelor’ after Salman Khan and wishes to keep his tag for some time.
- Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli met in a rather unconventional manner, during an ad shoot. While she was confident, he was a 'jittery and nervous'. Read the rest of the story here.
- Sharing how meeting a girl at an education programme led her to discover her bisexuality, Shonali Bose says, 'I hope, the youth today doesn’t have that shame'.
- Film producer Rhea Kapoor got love from a number of Bollywood beauties including Kareena Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Karisma Kapoor on her birthday.
Kunal Kemmu: We will have to wait and gauge the appetite of audiences to watch films on the big screen
- TV host Rannvijay Singha took to Instagram to post a cute family picture with wife Prianka and daughter Kainaat to make the announcement.
- Saina Nehwal has praised the teaser of her biopic Saina, which features Parineeti Chopra as the noted badminton player.
- Kareena Kapoor took to Instagram to wish Saif Ali Khan's son Ibrahim Ali Khan as he turned 20. She shared a photo of him from a recent shoot.