Kundan Shah is not directing Kahaani 2, says it belongs to Sujoy Ghosh
Kundan Shah has clarified that he is not directing Kahaani 2. But the suspense over whether or not Sujoy Ghosh will helm the project, remains. Reacting to the news, Sujoy Ghosh thanked Kundan Shah.bollywood Updated: Jul 21, 2013 18:14 IST
Rumours recently suggested that Kundan Shah will make Kahaani 2 - sequel to Sujoy Ghosh Bollywood debut Kahaani, after reports of Sujoy Ghosh's differences with the film producers. Now, Kundan Shah clarifies that he will not make Kahaani 2 and insisted that Kahaani franchise is Sujoy Ghosh's 'baby'.
The director of Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron, one of the most brilliant social satires of Indian cinema, denies all the rumours saying, "Why would I want to make Kahaani 2? That's Sujoy Ghosh's domain. I think he did a brilliant job in Kahaani. The way he recreated the bustle and tension of was amazing. I don't think any other director could do justice to the Kahaani brand."
Reacting to the development Sujoy Ghosh tweeted, "thank you kundan shah. this is why we respect you as a film maker. and of course JBDY remains undisputed."
Made on a budget of Rs 8 crore, Kahaani, centred around Vidya Balan's character, did a business of Rs.75 crore at the ticket window. Explaining how he became embroiled in the unsavoury controversy, Shah said: "I went to producer Jayanti Gada with a woman-oriented subject. It was his idea to name it Kahaani 2 as he says the rights and title are with him. But I am not comfortable with this at all.
"Why should I claim any creative right over the Kahaani franchise? It's Sujoy's baby. I'd like the producers to patch up with Sujoy and make Kahaani 2, Kahaani 3, etc with Sujoy. I'd like to be left out of this."
Describing his next film as political satire, Shah revealed that just like his first film, there is a dead body in this one. "I know Satish Shah's corpse act in Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro is still remembered. But what can I do if a dead body popped up in this one too?"
The film is titled Masquerade, which he was supposed to make with Mallika Sherawat in the lead. But now the producers will cast a new girl in the lead.
Reacting to reports suggesting that Shah would take off the Kahaani legacy, Ghosh had earlier said, "It's mine. Why should I react to some baseless report claiming someone else is making Kahaani 2? The only thing that bothers me is that my mother in Kolkata reads such stuff and gets upset. She will get used to it."
Now that Kundan Shah is not directing Kahaani 2, will Jayantilal Gada, CMD of PEN India Pvt Ltd and co-producer of Kahaani give the sequel to Sujoy Ghosh? We have to wait and watch!
(With IANS inputs)
First Published: Jul 21, 2013 17:45 IST