Love Aaj Kal turns 8: Did you know Saif wanted Kareena to be paired opposite him?
Filmmaker Imtiaz Ali’s third directorial and Saif Ali Khan’s first production, Love Aaj Kal, turns eight today. We take a look at how the film got its title, how Deepika Padukone came on board and which actor made a comeback with the film, after 26 years.bollywood Updated: Jul 31, 2017 12:24 IST
Did you know that Love Aaj Kal (2007) was Saif Ali Khan’s first production? Are you aware of the famous person Florence Brudenell-Bruce (Saif’s onscreen girlfriend in the film ) dated? Or who among the cast left Bollywood and went back to pursue education? Well, if your answers are in the negative then look no further. Here are some unknown facts about the the Imtiaz Ali directorial that successfully raked in moolah at the box office.
1. The film, for the longest time, was called Production Number One and later renamed Aaj Kal. It was then titled Elastic, before it finally became Love Aaj Kal.
2. Saif wanted Kareena Kapoor Khan to be paired opposite him, but Imtiaz wanted Deepika and the two finally went ahead with Imtiaz’s choice. In an interview, Saif reportedly admitted, “I think, she (Kareena) was quite keen to work with Imtiaz Ali again and I think he promised her his next movie. Her boyfriend being the producer of Imtiaz’s next movie and being in the situation that she was, she was wondering and finding it hard to understand why we had cast Deepika, I think.”
3.Interestingly, Imtiaz offered the film to Deepika during her modelling days, even before she was signed for her Bollywood debut, Om Shanti Om (2007). But, then Deepika wasn’t keen on acting, and Imtiaz had told her that once she is ready, she can work in the film.
4. 19-year-old model Giselli Monteiro had auditioned for Saif’s girlfriend’s character, Jo. She was recommended by Anaita Shroff Adajania who was also the costume designer and stylist for the film. But Imtiaz’s ex-wife, Preety Ali, suggested that Giselli should be cast for Harleen Kaur’s role.
5. Giselli had the best launchpad in Love Aaj Kal and then she went on to bag a role in Always Kabhi Kabhi (2011). But after her second film, she decided to quit acting and pursue architecture.
6 .Model Florence Brudenell-Bruce, who played Saif’s girlfriend, Jo in the film, reportedly dated Prince Harry in 2011. Before that, for almost two years, she dated Formula 1 racing driver Jenson Button.
7. Some parts of the film, set in 1965, where Saif played Rishi Kapoor’s younger version, were shot in Kolkata.
8. Actor Neetu Kapoor made a comeback to the silver screen after almost 26 years with this film. She played the older Harleen Kaur in the film opposite her husband, Rishi Kapoor.
9. The songs Aaj Din Chadheya and Aahun Aahun were initially not a part of the film. But Pritam, who composed the music for it, suggested to Imtiaz Ali that they must have a romantic song.
10. Deepika had an accident while shooting for the song, Chor Bazaari. In the song, she drunk dances on a table and then she falls into Saif’s arms. But, while shooting, she fell off the table and Saif somehow caught her kurti to save her. Both escaped serious injuries.
Follow @htshowbiz for more