Mahie Gill is Mona Darling in Zanjeer remake
Bindu's iconic 'Mona Darling' act in Zanjeer in 1973 is now being taken over by Mahie Gill, who admits the role is challenging but says she will pull it off.
Ajit had played the arch-villain Teja in the original; for the remake, Prakash Raj has been roped in. Southern actor Ram Charan Teja, son of superstar Chiranjeevi, will step into Amitabh Bahchan's shoes to play the Angry Young Man.
"I was initially apprehensive about doing the part. I wondered if I'd be able to carry it off. It was director Apoorva Lakhia who convinced me. Now I'm very excited. To recreate the original vamp 'Mona Darling' of the 1970s for today's audience is a challenge. And most of my scenes are with Prakash Raj who is a very good actor. I think I'll be able to pull it off," said Mahie, who recently wowed audiences with her bold avatar in Saheb, Biwi aur Gangster.
The culture of an overweight seductress went out with Bindu. While Bindu got away with slit dresses and body stockings in Zanjeer, Mahie, we are told, would be doing some heavy duty lovemaking scenes with Prakash Raj and would also need to get into better shape for a bikini.
"We definitely want Mahie's Mona Darling to go beyond Binduji. If Binduji became synonymous with the character in the 1970s, we want people to shout 'Mona Darling' at Mahie when she steps out," said Amit Mehra, son of Prakash Mehra who had produced and directed the Amitabh Bachchan starrer Zanjeer. He was speaking on behalf of the film's producers - Reliance Entertainment, Adai Mehra Productions and Flying Turtle Films.
"Those times, when the first Zanjeer was made, were different. Today, being sexy doesn't mean performing a cabaret in a slit dress. Mahie will have to be seen performing more horizontal acts with Prakash Raj. And she'll definitely be seen a bikini," he added.
Both Mahie and Prakash Raj, who is rather bulky, have been asked to shed kilos urgently.
Mahie's weight is not the only thing that goes from Bindu's Mona Darling act. The sizzling Asha Bhosle number Diljalon ka dil jala ke has also been done away with. Mahie was apparently most keen to dance to Bindu's number.
"We're doing an entirely new hip and slick club song for Mahie to dance to. With due respects to Helenji and Binduji, cabarets are no longer a part of popular nightclub culture," said Mehra.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.
- John Abraham and Disha Patani have begun working on their upcoming film, Ek Villain Returns. See pics.
- Tiger Shroff, who turned a year older on Tuesday, was spotted with rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani and his mother Ayesha Dutt on a dinner outing.
- Ankita Lokhande has shared several pictures and videos from a house party she had with Rashami Desai on Monday.
- Shaza Morani and Priyaank Sharma's Hindu wedding ceremony has been postponed, in light of the increase in Covid-19 cases in Maharashtra. The couple and their families and friends are currently in the Maldives.
- Divya Dutta has expressed her displeasure at being labeled as a supporting actor, insisting she loves playing all kinds of roles.
- Actor Parineeti Chopra's long-awaited biopic of badminton ace Saina Nehwal has been given a release date. Watch the first teaser here.
- Actor Ileana D'Cruz was asked during an Instagram Ask Me Anything session if she's ever had any cosmetic surgeries done. Here's what she said.
- Kangana Ranaut says that a new FIR has been registered against her, this time over her tweets on farmers agitation against the farm bills.
- Tara Sutaria shared the first poster of her upcoming movie Tadap. Her boyfriend Aadar Jain shared the poster on his Instagram Stories and expressed his excitement.