Padma awards late for Priyadarsan, Mira, Shabana, Dharmendra?
For most of their friends in the film industry, the Padma Shri for the prolific director Priyadarsan and the Padma Bhushan for illustrious actress Shabana Azmi, veteran actor Dharmendra and acclaimed filmmaker Mira Nair have come a little late. But they are happy and content.
Priyadarsan feels this is the best time he could receive an award of such repute.
"Why do you feel it's come too late? Everything happens at the right time. Until a few years back, I hadn't received a single national award. Then I got it for Kancheevaram, which many consider my career's best. But I feel every recognition comes when it is meant to come," he said.
"The Padma Shri is important for me at this juncture because I'm not in a space where I make both kinds of films, the artistic and the commercial. If I am proud of Kancheevaram, I'm also not ashamed of De Dana Dan.
"It's the so-called slapstick comedies that have given me the freedom to make the other kind of films. I'll continue making both kinds of films. I've treated every failure as a means to correct myself and every success as a means to better myself. There is no respite from work for me. As I speak to you I am editing my new film Tezz," he added.
Priyadarsan is happy that Dharmendra and Shabana Azmi have been given the Padma Bhushan.
"I've watched their films from the time when I was young. It's actors like them who inspired me to become a filmmaker. I'd love to direct both of them," he said.
Shabana, who suffered a broken arm in December, feels January has brought joyful tidings.
"What really tickles me is that my husband Javed Akhtar and I both are Padma Bhushans now. So we are Mr. and Mrs. Padma Bhushan. Did this honour come too late? I don't think so. For an artist, recognition at any time is welcome. This is what my parents and my acting teacher Roshan Taneja have taught me. An artist never works for an award. And when it comes, she accepts it gracefully. And this comes from the government of India, so it's a double honour," she said.
Dharmendra, whose wife Hema Malini and youngest daughter Ahana felt the award is a tad delayed, is overwhelmed with the award.
"Recognition has started coming a little too late in my career. I am happy. Very happy. But more than me, it's family and well-wishers who are happy for me. Ever since the announcement was made my phone has not stopped ringing. People are dropping in to express their joy. So the greatest award for me will always be the love of the people. I will continue to try to do good work," he said.
Reacting to the winners this year, Padma Shri actor Kamal Haasan said "Some of the winners are my seniors whom I am very fond of. The rest are my friends. I feel very proud of them. As someone who has always admired their work, I am happy the government too has acknowledged their contribution."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Janhvi Kapoor, who will be seen next in Roohi, said that viewers are not 'obligated' to love her and the onus is on her to give them a reason to. She added that she is working hard to win everyone over.
- Priyanka Chopra and her pet dog Diana are soaking up the sun in London, where the actor is shooting for the Amazon series Citadel, in which she plays a spy.
- Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt were clicked at an ad shoot with director Gauri Shinde. Check out some behind-the-scenes photos from the shoot here.
- Salman Khan said he feels 'awkward' and 'embarrassed' but at the same time, 'delighted' and 'honoured', to have his painting displayed alongside legends at an art show.
- Dr. Shriram Nene prepared a homemade pizza for Madhuri Dixit. As he shared a picture of it on Instagram, many of their fans showered compliments.
- Sara Ali Khan took to Instagram and revealed that she and her mother Amrita Singh visited Ajmer Sharif Dargah on Friday.
- Parineeti Chopra shared a new song - Matlabi Yariyan - from her upcoming film, The Girl On The Train. The actor has sung the soulful ballad. Watch here.
- Sara Ali Khan and her mother Amrita Singh were seen twinning in green at Mumbai airport on Thursday. See their pictures here.
- Sharmila Tagore had once talked about how Kareena Kapoor had her birthday when Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi was hospitalised but chose not to draw attention towards herself.
- Mumbai Saga trailer has John Abraham and Emraan Hashmi locking horns with Mumbai streets as the arena. Watch the trailer here.