When Aishwarya Rai’s welcome into family by Jaya Bachchan left her in tears: ‘I am going to be a mother-in-law all over again’
Actor Jaya Bachchan is the mother-in-law of actor Aishwarya Rai and was on cloud nine when the Devdas actor tied the knot with her actor son Abhishek Bachchan. Jaya had not just welcomed her into the family at an awards event but had also shared the one quality she liked in her the most.
Ahead of Aishwarya and Abhishek’s wedding in 2007, Jaya went up on stage at Filmfare Awards event to present an award. She utilised the opportunity to officially welcome Aiswarya into the family while the latter sat alongside Abhishek in the audience and was left teary eyed at the gesture. “I am going to be a mother-in-law all over again to a wonderful lovely girl who has great values, has great dignity and a lovely smile. I welcome you to the family, I love you,” she said.
Jaya had also shared her fondness for Aishwarya during her appearance on Koffee With Karan. When host Karan Johar mentioned that Abhishek had found someone special (referring to Aishwarya), Jaya couldn’t hold back her happiness and said, “She’s lovely, I love her. You know I have always loved her.”
On being asked if she thinks Aishwarya was the perfect choice for her family, Jaya said, “I think so. I think its wonderful because she is such a big star herself. But when we all are together, I have never ever seen her push herself, I like that quality that she stands behind, she’s quiet, she listens and she’s taking it all in. Another beautiful thing is she’s fitted in so well. Not just into the family, but she knows that this is family, these are good friends, this is how one is supposed to be. I think she’s a strong lady, she has a lot of dignity.”
She said Amitabh Bachchan looks at Aishwarya like “Sweta coming home.” She added, “I think she will fill the vacuum that Sweta left.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Director Chaitanya Tamhane's The Disciple, which opened to critical acclaim at the Venice and Toronto film festivals, has been nominated in the Best International Film category at the 36th annual Independent Spirit Awards. Adarsh Gourav has been nominated for Best Male Lead, for The White Tiger.
- Amitabh Bachchan showed off his new Covid-19 mask on social media, and his grandchildren -- Navya and Agastya Nanda -- couldn't get enough of it.
- Producer Boney Kapoor and his Maidaan director, Amit Sharma, are miffed about RRR potentially clashing with their film at the box office.
- Hrithik Roshan has shared a rare picture with ex-brother-in-law Zayed Khan, who accompanied him on a hike. See the picture here.
- Designer Manish Malhotra has shared a behind-the-scenes video of Varun Dhawan getting fitted for his wedding with Natasha Dalal. Watch the video here.
- Shah Rukh Khan's wife, Gauri Khan, has shared a throwback photo from Paris, leaving Maheep Kapoor and Malaika Arora in awe.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut, in an incendiary video, has called for everybody who supported the 'so-called' farmers' protests to be jailed.
- "The whole world is laughing at us today," Kangana Ranaut wrote in a new tweet, targeting Diljit Dosanjh and Priyanka Chopra.
- Actor Salman Khan, in his Republic Day message for fans, called for unity. Read what he has to say here.