Shah Rukh plays safe, won’t comment on Aamir Khan and Incredible India
Once bitten, twice shy. Shah Rukh Khan, who has courted controversies recently over his statements on ‘growing intolerance’ in the country, refused to comment on the cancellation of Pakistani ghazal singer Ghulam Ali’s Mumbai concert following threats from Shiv Senabollywood Updated: Jan 12, 2016 11:24 IST
Once bitten, twice shy. Shah Rukh Khan, who has courted controversies recently over his statements on ‘growing intolerance’ in the country, refused to comment on the cancellation of Pakistani ghazal singer Ghulam Ali’sMumbai concert following threats from Shiv Sena. “Unfortunately because of the reactions I get when I answer something political or religious, I don’t think I will answer this question,” the 50-year-old actor told reporters when asked to comment on cancellation of Pakistani ghazal maestro Ghulam Ali’s concert in Mumbai.
Ghazal maestro Ghulam Ali is now scheduled to perform in Kolkata on Tuesday evening.
SRK had earlier said there is “extreme intolerance” in India, creating a furore. He had later apologised. He had said the controversy also affected the collections of his latest film Dilwale.
“I have not said anything that I should apologise (for). I will fall in my own eyes if I do that,” Shah Rukh said at a media meet to promote Dilwale. Agonised over protests against the film directed by Rohit Shetty, SRK had said it made him sad when his work did not reach the people as that was the only way he could return the people’s “love” for him, and appealed to his fans to watch and enjoy the movie.
“I can’t deny the fact that I’ve been reading messages on Whatsapp. I’ve been reading messages on social media, and even on ground that there has been activity all over the country, where the film has been stopped, and not allowed. Yes, box office collections have been hit, I don’t know exactly the places. But they have been,” he further said.
When asked about the debate over Aamir Khan’s removal as brand ambassador of Incredible India, SRK said, “I don’t have anything to do with it: neither was I recruited nor was I let go. Please leave me out of it.”
During a programme to launch the ‘Shades of Bengal’ book by Nerolac Paints, he also avoided answering the question related to reduction of his security cover by the Mumbai Police. Shah Rukh simply said he missed the constables as they used to bring food for him. “I miss them. Sometimes I give them a call to ask about their well-being. They used to take food for me and we used to eat ‘puri’ and rice together,” he added.
First Published: Jan 12, 2016 08:34 IST