Market snaps five-week rally; Sensex, Nifty tank 3%
A string of negative factors weighed heavily on the market as both benchmark indices, S&P Sensex and CNX Nifty, came off their nearly 30-month highs and tumbled 2.9% and 3.3% respectively during the week under review, snapping a five-week rally.
Profit booking at higher levels, mainly impacted by dismal earnings data from some of the frontline companies, and weak global cues also put pressure on the market.
The comments from Federal Reserve Chairman on possible scale down in US monetary stimulus programme sent jitters across the global stock markets, including India, on Thursday. Weak manufacturing data from China, world's second-largest economy, also aided the fall in domestic shares.
The slump was also attributed to the drop in Q4 earnings of top corpoates like L&T and State Bank of India.
The week saw across-the-board hectic selling mainly in realty, capital goods, power, refinery, PSUs, pharma and banking sectors.
Selling was so strong and widespread that 12 of the 13 sectoral indices ended in the red, losing between 11.54% and 0.34%. Only BSE-IT index ended with gains.
On first day of the week, the Bombay Stock Exchange 30-share benchmark index touched a high of 20,443.62. But it later started losing ground and declined to a low of 19,568.49 before settling the week at 19,704.33, posting a net fall of 581.79, or 2.87%.
In one of the biggest gaining string of the current calender year, the Sensex, in the last five weeks, had zoomed by a whopping 2,043.56 points, or 11.20%.
The broad-based 50-issue CNX Nifty of the NSE tanked by 203.75 points, or 3.29%, to close the week at 5,983.55.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- For checking EPF balance without UAN number, users will need to log into their account through the EPF homepage at epfindia.gov.in.
- The 15th Finance Commission has recommended that states be given 41 per cent of the divisible tax pool of the Centre during the period 2021-22 to 2025-26, which is at the same level as was recommended by the 14th Finance Commission.
- Here’s a list of some of the tasks which need to be performed by taxpayers before March 31
- In an interaction with members of the Indian Women’s Press Corps (IWPC), Sitharaman said that consumer sentiment about the tax burden on auto fuel was understandable.
- Nearly 1.1 million vaccine doses were administered to people above the age of 60 and those in the 45-59 age group till Thursday.
- Mohapatra said the idea came during Modi’s meeting with Marriott International president and chief executive Arne Sorenson, who complained about the complex regulations in starting and running a hotel in India.