Walmart names Greg Foran as new China CEO
Wal-Mart Stores Inc said on Tuesday it has named Walmart executive Greg Foran as the president and chief executive of Walmart China, capping a series of leadership changes at the China unit tainted by food scandals.
Foran was chosen to replace Ed Chan, who stepped down in October 2011 after a pork mislabelling scandal that forced the company to shut a dozen stores in central China.
The Chinese city of Chongqing penalised Walmart after the firm was found to have mislabelled some pork as organic at a couple of its stores. Authorities said the pork scandal was the latest in a string of 21 violations dating back to 2006.
Walmart had also suffered a series of high level personnel losses last year, after its China chief financial officer and chief operating officer left in May leaving a leadership vacuum.
Foran is currently serving as Walmart's senior vice president for Walmart International and will start his new role on March 1, the company said in a statement.
Walmart troubles in China reflect the retail giant's struggles in a complex market where rapid expansion and a cumbersome takeover has marred profit and growth.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- India’s vaccination campaign ramped up on Monday, with people above the age of 60, and individuals 45 or older suffering from certain medical conditions, now eligible for shots.
- The company, which relies heavily on digital advertising using user data, said it will not track individual-level data such as personally identifiable information (PII) graphs based on people’s email addresses.
- In comparison, PMI for the manufacturing sector had fallen marginally to 57.5 in February from 57.7 a month ago, data released on Monday showed.
- The Council is expected to meet this month, but a date is yet to be finalized, the first person said.
- Lawyers representing the consortium had earlier insisted that DGCA and the aviation ministry must follow the principle of historicity and grant slots to the revived Jet Airways.
- The Suzuki Motor Corp. unit has told its suppliers about its strategies, asking them to ramp up production, the people cited above said on condition of anonymity.
- The BSE Sensex gained 1,147.76 points or 2.28% to end at 51,444.65, while the Nifty surged 326.50 points or 2.19% to close at 15,245.60
- For those filing returns for FY20 in form ITR-1—people with income from salaries, one house property and farm income up to ₹5,000—the last date for filing was January 10, 2021.
- HDFC also outlined that the changes will affect customers who currently have availed home loan benefits from the lender.