Manhole gas kills 35-yr-old sewer man
A 35-year-old sewer man was killed after inhaling gas rising from a manhole near parking of Lake Sports Club, Chandigarh, on Thursday.chandigarh Updated: Aug 21, 2014 21:28 IST
A 35-year-old sewer man was killed after inhaling gas rising from a manhole near parking of Lake Sports Club, Chandigarh, on Thursday.
Giving details, Sector 3 station house officer (SHO) Harjit Kaur said Satbir Singh, resident of Indra Colony, along with his team members, Charan Singh and Dharamveer, of UT public health department reached the spot around 10:45am for cleaning the manhole.
As soon as Satbir opened the manhole, he fell into it after inhaling the gas. Charan and Dharamveer tried to rescue him, but could not enter the manhole due to the gas. They informed the police, who further called the fire brigade. The victim was rushed to the Government Multi-Specialty Hospital in Sector 16 where he later died. The body will be handed over to the family after post-mortem examination.
Deputy superintendent of police (centre) Ashish Kapoor said the exact cause of death could be ascertained only after the autopsy, adding that no case had been registered so far.
The victim is survived by his wife and four children. He was earlier working on contract with the department and was regularised two months ago.
Department initiates probe
Sources said Satbir was not wearing safety equipment, such as helmet and gas mask. UT superintending engineer (public health) Tarlochan Singh claimed that all field workers had been given safety equipment. He said the department had marked an inquiry to ascertain if there were any lapses on part of the department.
First Published: Aug 21, 2014 21:27 IST