Leopard found dead in Uttarakhand’s Nainital, second death in two weeks
A carcass of a five-year-old leopard was found in Nainital district, said forest officials.
The leopard was found dead in Chaura Ghat area near Haldwani in Terai East forest division on Tuesday evening, said officials.
RP Joshi, forest range officer of Goula where the leopard was found dead, said, “Forest staff spotted a carcass of a leopard during patrolling on Tuesday evening. The team sent its body for a post-mortem examination. The leopard did not have any injury marks on its body and its feet and nails were also intact.”
He also said that the actual cause of death will be known after the post-mortem examination but prima facie it looks like the leopard died due to a fight with another animal. However, viscera samples of the leopard have been sent for testing to Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) Bareilly.
This is not the first incident of a leopard death in the state this year. On January 14, a two-year-old male leopard was found dead in Mussoorie forest division. The leopard had died after falling into a gorge. One shoulder bone of the animal was dislocated, according to the post-mortem examination report.
In the last week of December, two leopard carcasses were recovered from the forest areas of Kumaon region within two days. The carcass of a 12-year-old female leopard was found in Bageshwar district on December 31 and a four-year-old female leopard found dead in Ramnagar in Nainital district on December 30. On December 11, a four-year-old leopard was found dead in Ramnagar. On December 1, the carcass of three-year-old leopard cub that was killed in a road accident was found on the Ramnagar-Manglar road in Nainital. Before this on October 17, a one-year-old leopard cub was found dead in Pithoragarh.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Uttarakhand government has been seeking Green Bonus as compensation for the conservation of its forests by not expanding the industrial development.
- Indira Hridayesh, Uttarakhand leader of opposition, rubbished the rumours and said that she is in a very important position in Congress.
- The boy's link with the online platform came to light after police officials went through his mobile phone on Wednesday.
- The initiative, Bhuli (sister in Garhwali language) Kanyadan, is the brainchild of Devprayag station house officer.
- Three control rooms will also be made at three UP’s three districts of Muzaffarnagar, Bijnor and Saharanpur bordering Uttarakhand for effective sharing of information and intelligence.
- The demand comes months after the Centre decided to discontinue the Centre for Glaciology project in Uttarakhand.
- Among the six bodies, five were found on Saturday late night while one was found on Sunday morning.
- The men belonged to Ratanpura village under Bazpur police station and were on their way to Garjiya temple of Ramnagar in Nainital.
- The leopard dragged her to the forest area and ate her body parts. Her head was found severed from her body.