Rajasthan law student arrested for threatening to rape a journalist on twitter
- The accused confessed that he had doled out a threat to the journalist in anger against her style of reporting on the ongoing farmers’ agitation.
A 26-year-old law student from Udaipur in Rajasthan was arrested on Saturday for criminal intimidation and intention to insult the modesty of a woman after he allegedly threatened a woman journalist from Delhi on social media, said police officials.
Rohini Singh, a Delhi-based journalist tweeted to inform inspector general of police (IGP) Udaipur range, Satyaveer Singh, that one of the Twitter users from the state had threatened on Friday to rape and kill her; she also tagged chief minister Ashok Gehlot to her tweet, demanding action.
Following the complaint by Singh, Udaipur police registered a case against the holder of the Twitter account ‘KViayan’. CM Ashok Gehlot also directed Udaipur IG and SP to look into the matter and take action.
Acting upon the CM's direction, several police teams began a hunt to identify and arrest the accused, said police.
Later, IG Satyaveer Singh said that the accused had been identified as one Kapil Viayan, who had been arrested and put under interrogation.
“During his interrogation, the accused confessed that he had doled out a threat to the journalist in anger against her style of reporting on the ongoing farmers’ agitation at the borders of Delhi,” said the Udaipur IGP.
He added that Viayan was a second year student of law and a resident of Semari village in Udaipur. Viayan was also associated with Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the students’ wing of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The police, however, managed to calm the agitating villagers and shifted the girl’s body to mortuary for post-mortem
- Nepal Singh told HT that he was very happy to meet his wife but at the same time was also upset since his younger brother’s wife could not get a visa.
- Twenty-five-year-old Vasundhara Chauhan averted goons' attempt to free their accomplice.
- A 17-year-old girl has told the Kota police that she was repeatedly raped by strangers during the eight days that she was confined in the adjoining district of Jhalawar.
- People in large numbers turned out to wish Raje on her birthday.
- A woman was raped by a police officer of the Kherli police station after she went there to file a case against her husband.
- The knowledge base and resources of the premier institutions of the country will be leveraged to bring in a transformational change in the rural developmental process, as per the programme objectives
- The government notice asks him to deposit ₹5,430,000 as rent for the bungalow, pending since November 2019, at a rate of ₹10,000/day.
- The victim reported this to another police officer and that’s how the matter came to the knowledge of Alwar SP, who asked for filing a case against the accused SI.
- An official said the video was recorded by a local resident who did not wish to be identified.
- Rajasthan BJP chief launched a programme against the state government, experts see factionalism in the party.
- Additional commissioner, excise policy, CR Dewasi, told that the e-auction for the wine shops started three days ago whereby.