'Won't be cowed down': Abhishek Banerjee on CBI summons to wife in coal theft case
Trinamool Congress (TMC) leader Abhishek Banerjee on Sunday tweeted an image of the CBI notice summoning his wife in connection with the coal theft case and said they had faith in the judicial system and won't be 'cowed down'.
"At 2pm today, the CBI served a notice in the name of my wife. We have full faith in the law of the land. However, if they think they can use these ploys to intimidate us, they are mistaken. We are not the ones who would ever be cowed down," he tweeted.
Earlier in the day, a CBI team had reached Trinamool leader Abhishek Banerjee's house in Kolkata and served notice to Abhishek's wife Rujira Narula, asking her to join the probe.
On Friday, the agency conducted searches at 13 locations in four districts — Purulia, Bankura, Paschim Bardhaman and Kolkata in connection with the case.
The CBI had filed an FIR against the alleged kingpin of the racket Manjhi alias Lala in November last year. Manjhi is accused of being involved in the illegal mining and theft of coal from leasehold mines of ECL in Kunustoria and Kajora areas, people familiar with the development told news agency PTI.
Assembly elections in the state are due in April-May. The BJP has launched a vigorous campaign to oust the Mamata Banerjee-led TMC that had secured consecutive wins in 2011 and 2016.
Abhishek Banerjee, who is a Lok Sabha member, is an important face in the party and has been leading the Trinamool Congress' counter-attack in its election campaign.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- "Modi government only makes false promises, has done nothing to bring down fuel prices," PTI quoted the Bengal chief minister as saying.
- According to CBI officials privy to the development, Rujira was questioned for around an hour.
- Bengal BJP leader Rakesh Singh has been told to appear before Kolkata police's detective department on Tuesday
- The CBI on Monday questioned Banerjee’s nephew and TMC leader Abhishek Banerjee's sister-in-law in a coal scam case.
- The CBI served notice to Trinamool TMC Lok Sabha member Abhishek Banerjee's wife for questioning in connection with the coal smuggling case.
- The agency sought to serve notice to his wife for questioning in connection with the coal smuggling case.