New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Dec 14, 2019-Saturday
-°C

Humidity
-

Wind
-

Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Saturday, Dec 14, 2019

AB de Villiers fires Middlesex to victory on T20 Blast debut

De Villiers hammered Essex bowlers all around the park and he slammed 88 runs off just 43 balls to guide Middlesex to an impressive victory.

cricket Updated: Jul 19, 2019 13:43 IST
ANI
ANI
New Delhi
AB de Villiers in action for Middlesex in T20 blast.
AB de Villiers in action for Middlesex in T20 blast.(Middlesex/ Twitter)
         

South African batsman AB de Villiers made an impressive debut in England’s domestic T20 competition Vitality Blast as he played a match-winning knock of 88 runs for Middlesex on Thursday. De Villiers hammered Essex bowlers all around the park and he slammed 88 runs off just 43 balls. This knock by the right-handed batsman enabled Middlesex to register an easy seven-wicket with three overs to spare.

Also Read: Tendulkar inducted in ICC Hall of Fame after Dravid and Kumble - Here’s why

Chasing 165, Middlesex had gotten off to a bad start as they lost two early wickets with just 39 runs on the board. De Villiers came out to bat at number four and he along with Dawid Malan stitched together a 105-run stand to take Middlesex closer to victory. Malan departed for 43, but de Villiers ensured that the team went over the line with 18 balls to spare.

Batting first, Essex lost wickets at regular intervals and it was only due to Dutch player Ryan ten Doeschate’s knock of 74 runs that the team was able to post 164 runs on the board.

AB de Villiers has been surrounded by controversy as during the recently concluded ICC World Cup, Cricket South Africa’s (CSA) selection panel had revealed that the South African great wanted to make his way back into the World Cup squad on the day of announcement of the team.

Also Read: Gambhir wants Dhoni to make way for youngsters like Pant and Samson

However, after South Africa failed to make it to the semi-finals of the World Cup, de Villiers released a statement saying there was no contact between him and CSA after his retirement. He added that he made no demands from either the selection panel or skipper Faf Du Plessis.

“During the weeks and months that followed, there was no formal contact between Cricket South Africa or the Proteas and me. I didn’t call them, and they didn’t call me. I had made my decision and the Proteas moved on, enjoying success under the expert guidance of coach Ottis Gibson and the outstanding captaincy of Faf du Plessis,” de Villiers had said.

Also Read: Ben Stokes nominated for New Zealander of the Year award

“Faf and I have been friends since we were at school together and, two days before the World Cup squad was announced, I contacted him for a chat. I had been in decent form during the Indian Premier League and casually repeated what I had said when asked a year earlier, that I was available if required... but only if required. I made absolutely no demands,” he added.

De Villiers had announced his retirement from international cricket on May 23, 2018 after playing 114 Tests, 228 ODIs and 78 T20Is for Proteas.