Australia A tour on despite blasts: PCB
The Pak board says Australia A team will continue with their tour as per the schedule despite the twin blast that rocked the city of Rawalpindi.Updated: Sep 04, 2007, 18:55 IST
The Australia A cricket team would continue with their tour as per the schedule despite the twin blast that rocked the city of Rawalpindi on Tuesday, Board officials said.
Shafqat Naghmi, chief executive of the Pakistan Cricket Board, said the Australians had not expressed any concerns and were given a detailed briefing on the security situation.
"These incidents are sad and shocking. They don't help our cause at all. The last time they were here in 2005 also a blast took place in Lahore but they stayed on. Even when their inspection team was here last month a blast took place in Islamabad," Naghmi said.
He said the Board and ministry of interior were committed to providing the best security arrangements for the touring players and officials.
"What helps is that this season Rawalpindi is hosting no international match as its stadium is being renovated. But still when these blasts take place it is not a good thing," he said.
South Africa is also due to tour Pakistan to play two Tests and five one-day internationals from September 27 but they had their matches shifted from Peshawar and Pindi.