India vs Australia: ‘I just remembered my father,’ Mohammed Siraj explains why he became emotional during national anthem at SCG
India fast bowler Mohammed Siraj opened up on the emotional moment involving him on the first day of the third Test against Australia at Sydney Cricket Ground. Before the start of the match, Siraj was seen shedding tears during India’s national anthem. Speaking to reporters after the day’s play, the seamer revealed that he remembered his father which made him emotional.
Siraj’s father passed away on November 20, just after the Hyderabad pacer had travelled with the Indian team for the Tour Down Under. The pacer had stayed back in Australia to fulfil his dream of seeing him play for India.
“Just remembered my father at that time. I was really emotional. He wanted me to see playing Test cricket,” Siraj told reporters.
“I wish he could see me playing for India,” the fast bowler further added.
Meanwhile, it was a tough day for the Indian bowlers in the office, with Australia finishing the rain-curtailed day at 166 for two at stumps with Steve Smith and Marnus Labuschagne in the middle. Siraj said that the wicket was quite flat and it was difficult for bowlers to build pressure.
“It is very a flat wicket. Our plan was to build pressure and not try too much as it is a very easy wicket for the batsman. Even the bouncers are not carrying as well it was in the the earlier games,” said Siraj, who made his debut in the previous game.
“But Test cricket it is all about patience and we must keep that in mind,” he added.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sanjay Manjrekar has revealed an incident from way back in the year 1990 when the legendary Geoffrey Boycott denied him a Man-of-the-Match award in an ODI against England.
- BCCI would be seeking assurance from the state governments before letting them host IPL matches this year.
- VVS Laxman is excited at the prospect of the batsman getting to play his maiden game for India.
- Warner struggled to sprint on the field like his usual self and appeared in discomfort while batting, scoring 5, 13, 1 and 48.
- Rahane said the pitch for the fourth Test starting in Ahmedabad on Thursday would be similar to the one used in the previous Test.
- India vs England: Hence, when it comes to comparing the two, Bell, one of England's finest players of spin, is aware of the traits that made both Ashwin and Harbhajan stand out.
- Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Ahmedabad and Kolkata have been earmarked as the five venues.
- India vs England: India vice-captain Ajinkya Rahane has asserted that India have never complained about the wickets when they have toured abroad.
- India vs England: The latest to weigh in on the pitch debate is former Pakistan captain Inzamam-Ul-Haq, who has blatantly expressed that such a wicket is not good for the health of Test cricket.