Jadeja fined 50% match fee for spat with Anderson
Indian all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja has been fined half his match fee for his involvement in an altercation with England pace bowler James Anderson during the drawn first Test at Trent Bridge, the International Cricket Council announced on Friday.
A livid Board of Control for Cricket in India - the world's wealthiest and most powerful cricketing body - however, said it was not satisfied with the verdict and it reserved the right to appeal against the sentence. A first Level One offence cannot be appealed, according to ICC rules.
The clash, which occurred as the players left the field at lunch on the second day of the first Test, saw Jadeja charged with a level two misconduct charge for allegedly approaching Anderson in a threatening manner. Anderson was charged with a level three offense for having "abused and pushed" his opponent.
In its statement issued after the ICC's verdict on Friday, the Indian cricket board said: "The BCCI wishes to make it clear that it is not satisfied with the verdict… The BCCI believes that Mr Ravindra Jadeja was not at fault, and supports him fully."
N Srinivasan, sidelined as the BCCI chief but occupying the most powerful position had earlier distanced himself from the controversy to reflect his new role as the ICC chairman.
On Friday, match referee David Boon found left-arm spinner Jadeja, who was batting at the time, not guilty of the offence for which he had been charged but felt his conduct was contrary to the spirit of the game.
"While I was in no doubt that confrontation did occur, and that such conduct was not in the spirit of the game and should not have taken place, I was not comfortably satisfied that this was a level 2 offence," Boon, the former Australia batsman, said in a statement.
"Therefore, in exercising my discretion under Article 7.6.5 of the Code and having heard all the evidence, I was comfortably satisfied that Mr Jadeja had committed a level 1 offence under Article 2.1.8 of the Code."
Anderson's hearing will be held on August 1, the day after the third Test at Southampton is scheduled to finish, where he faces a possible four-Test ban if he found guilty. India lead the five-match series 1-0.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- It was a quiet welcome as the youngster returned home to Mohali with the country still celebrating the 2-1 comeback victory.
- India off-spinner R Ashwin explained why the Indian cricketers were against going under another round of strict quarantine before the Brisbane Test. Ashwin gave the example of the Queensland government’s decision to allow a certain capacity of spectators to give reasons behind India’s firm stance.
- Despite being ahead for most of the Test, the Indian batting order bowed down to the Australia pace attack on Day 3, getting bowled out for 36 (with Mohammed Shami getting injured).
- On his latest video on Youtube, Hogg was asked by fan if India should consider including Pant in the limited-overs series against England which begins next month.
- Team India are currently leading the World Test Championship standings with 71.1 PCT % (percentage of points earned) while England are in the fourth position with 65.2.
- England have announced the squad for the first two Tests against India and there has been some controversy due to the absence of one batsman.