Kieron Pollard thanks Mumbai Indians for show of faith after West Indies snub
Keiron Pollard, who was retained by Mumbai Indians through Right to Match card in the Indian Premier League (IPL) auction, admitted his heart still yearns to play for the West Indies cricket team.cricket Updated: Feb 01, 2018 13:54 IST
Big-hitting West Indian all-rounder Kieron Pollard has made a name for himself playing in various T20 leagues across the planet. However, one team that he seemingly shares a special bond with is Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Mumbai Indians.
Pollard, who has been with Mumbai Indians since making his IPL debut in 2010, was retained by the franchise through the Right to Match (RTM) card during the IPL mega auction in Bengaluru last week.
The 31-year-old thanked the Mumbai-based franchise for retaining faith in him during an emotional interview with ESPNCricinfo.com.
“I just want to thank Mumbai Indians for entrusting faith in me once again. Going into the auction then hearing that you were going to be retained, you know you have forged a very good relationship. When you talk of commitment to one, you can be committed to,” he said to the website.
“People stand by you in difficult times, in good times and you reward them in the end. I am happy to be back at Mumbai Indians and looking forward to do special things.”
Pollard had recently posted a couple of emotional messages on Instagram after West Indies’ chairman of selectors Courtney Browne accused him of choosing T20 league over West Indies.
Browne had named him along with three other senior players who decided to skip West Indies’ World Cup qualifiers in March for the Pakistan Super League. In the interview, Pollard rubbished these claims and also spoke on how his heart still yearns to play for West Indies.
“Obviously my heart is still to play for West Indies. But with these sort of things happening, it is very, very difficult to say, ‘you know what, I’m just gonna sit and wait’. If there’s a clear plan of going forward we sit, we plan for the year, I am sure things can happen,” he said.
Pollard didn’t mince words in blaming West Indies cricket officials for not being transparent with their policies of selection and communication.
“The last communication I had from the West Indies’ selectors was an e-mail sent on January 3, asking about my availability for the 2019 World Cup qualifiers. They gave us just four days to respond, knowing that we [already] had PSL contracts.
“And since then I have not had any communication with them. That is why that is a question I can’t answer. That is a question Cricket West Indies needs to answer.”