Pakistan fines indisciplined Shoaib
The PCB fines him Rs 300,000 and also docks points from his contract for leaving the training camp without permission.Updated: Aug 08, 2007 19:31 IST
The Pakistan Cricket Board came down hard on enigmatic fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar on Wednesday, fining him Rs 300,000 and also docking points from his central contract for leaving the national training camp in Karachi without permission.
"He left the camp without informing the team manager on August 4 and has not responded to our queries since then. Today also he failed to show up before the board's disciplinary committee," Zakir Khan, Director Cricket Operations said.
"Because he has been found guilty of violating the code of conduct under the new central contract, he has been fined Rs 100,000 by the team manager and Rs 200,000 by our disciplinary committee. He has also been docked 1.5 points from his 20 points in the contracts," Zakir said.
It is not the first time that Shoaib has landed into trouble with the establishment. In the past also he has been fined and disciplined several times for flaunting rules.
The fast bowler made a comeback to the national team recently, overcoming various fitness problems, including a knee surgery.
He bowled just a few overs in one of the practice Twenty20 games in Karachi in which he went for lot of runs and then left the camp abruptly on August 4 complaining of a neck strain.
However, sources close to him said Shoaib planned to appeal the fine as he had left after informing captain Shoaib Malik.
Zakir, however, insisted that the players were required to take permission from the team manager.
Shoaib is part of the Pakistan squad for the first Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa next month.
Meanwhile, it was learnt that senior players, Mohammad Yousuf and Abdul Razzaq, who were 'rested' by the selectors for the tournament, were yet to sign their new central contracts which raised questions if they planned to join the breakaway Indian Cricket League.
Shafqat Nagmi, the chief executive of the board confirmed both had still not signed their contracts which were sent to them by the board.
"Why they are delaying signing the contracts we don't know. But we had given the players the space to have a look at their contracts properly before signing them," he added.
Both have also been offered lucrative amounts to play in the breakaway Indian Cricket League but Nagmi said he didn't know about this and could not answer on their behalf.
"Our stand is very clear if any current player goes to play in the Indian league he will not be considered for Pakistan again," he added.
First Published: Aug 08, 2007 19:01 IST