Quiz 2: HOWZZTHIZ?
Why is Brisbane cricket ground called ‘The Gabba’? No more...cricket Updated: Mar 11, 2007 15:54 IST
1. ‘I tend to think that cricket is the greatest thing that God ever created on earth — certainly greater than sex, although sex isn’t too bad either’. This outrageous statement is credited to which English playwright/activist?
2. One quote quoted in New Zealand from the 1938 edition of Wisden: ‘Had he been an Australian, he might have been termed a wonder of the age’. Which cricketer was being referred to?
3. This Sri Lankan cricketer, the fourth batsman to get past 10,000 runs in ODIs, is also the son of a Sri Lankan kabaddi legend.
4. Which former captain of Bangladesh is nicknamed ‘Pilot’?
5. Why is Brisbane cricket ground called ‘The Gabba’?
Click here to know the answers >>>ANSWERS
1. Nobel Laureate Harold Pinter (winner, Nobel Prize for Literature 2005 and per haps best known for the play ‘The Birthday Party’ and the screen adaptation of ‘The French Lieutenant’s Woman’.)
2. The passage refers to Kiwi Jack Cowie’s feats on the 1937 tour of England, when he took 114 wickets at 19.95.
3. Sanath Jayasuriya, whose father, Tanath Om Panath Jayasuriya, represented Sri Lanka in the Asian Games.
4. Khaled Mashud.
5. The ground is located in the suburb of Woolloongabba and is hence known colloquially as ‘The Gabba’.
Compiled by NITIN SHARMA