Sangakkara departs, Srilanka two down
After the early break through, Kumar Sangakkara came in the middle to join Warnapura. Both batsmen then started to score easy singles and got the scoreboard moving. Warnapura then score two consecutive boudaries to Ishan Sharma as the Lankans moved up a gear. Both the batsmen were looking to settle down and score some handsome shots for singles and two runs.
Sharma then continued as Vandort played out three dot balls and then scored two runs off the next ball. Vandort then edged the ball to Karthik and Srilanka lost their first wicket. They were 7/1 after 4 overs.
Ishant Sharma shared the attack with Khan and he started off with a maiden. Khan was then greeted with another boundary of the next ball. He then finished the over with five dot balls. Srilanka were 5/0 after the three overs.
Zaheer Khan opened the bowling for the India. Khan who is coming back after a long injury is looking fit and will open India's attack. Vandort and Warnapura opened the Srilankan batting. Khan maintained a solid line for the left handers and just gave away a single in the first over.
Sri Lanka have won the toss and have choosen to bat. There are a few cracks on this pitch, it is a dry wicket and should turn out to be a spinner's track.
Srilanka - MG Vandort, BSM Warnapura, Mahela Jayawardene(c), Kumar Sangakkara, TT Samaraweera, Tilekratne Dilshan, HAPW Jayawardene(wk), Chaminda Vaas, KMDN Kulasekara, Ajantha Mendis, Muthiah Muralitharan.
India - Virender Sehwag, Gauntam Gambhir, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Dinesh Karthik(wk), Anil Kumble(c), Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma.
The first test between Sri Lanka and India at the Sinhalese Sports Club was delayed by rain on Wednesday.
Covers remained on the ground following overnight rain which continued through the morning, forcing umpires to postpone the scheduled 10.15 a.m (0445 GMT) start with little hope of any play before lunch.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sundar and Thakur’s knocks were lauded by the entire cricketing fraternity with former Australia all-rounder Tom Moody highly impressed with their rearguard.
- India vs Australia: Shardul Thakur's innings, on expected lines, seemingly got under the skin of Australia, with the fast bowler explaining that the opposition reacted by chirping away a few words at him.
- India vs Australia: Each wicket is special for Hazlewood but the fast bowler is highly content with one dismissal in particular.
- The South Africa squad, which includes 21 players, underwent their first Covid-19 tests soon after landing on Saturday.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India's Apex Council meeting did not take a final decision on whether to stage Ranji Trophy.
- India vs Australia: Shardul Thakur danced down the wicket to Nathan Lyon and dispatched the off-spinner over the ropes.
- India vs Australia: Stronger teams have toured Australia, few as brave as this bunch.