Fire control operation on at Delhi shoe factory 7 hours after break out, one fireman injured

More than 25 fire tenders have been sent to the spot. No casualties have been reported so far as the workers were not present in the factory at the time, however one fireman was injured in the rescue operation.

delhi Updated: Feb 03, 2018 05:27 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Delhi fire,Delhi shoe factory,Delhi blaze
The fire department had received a call around 2.52am on Saturday about a blaze in t a shoe factory in Udyog Vihar near Peeragarhi. (Photo: Sourced)

New Delhi

A fire broke out at a shoe factory in northwest Delhi’s Udyog Vihar early on Friday morning. While no casualties have been reported so far, a 40-year-old firefighter suffered minor injuries in the efforts to put out the blaze.

More than 25 fire tenders have been sent to the spot and nearly seven hours after it was reported, the fire operation is still on. The cause of the fire is not known yet. “We are currently probing the matter and would call the owner for questioning,” said a police officer who is not authorised to speak to media.

Workers were not present at the factory when the fire broke out. However, fireman Kuldeep Rana, who is posted in Rohini Sector 16 fire station, slipped while trying to control the fire and received bruises and abrasions on his arm. He is currently being treated at Sanjay Gandhi Hospital.

Around 2.52am, the department received a call that a fire had broken out at a shoe factory in Udyog Vihar near Peeragarhi and firemen were sent to the spot, said Atul Garg, additional director, Delhi Fire Services.

“The factory is a two-storey building with a basement and the fire had spread on to all parts. The premises is huge and is spread across nearly 1,000 square yards, which made the firefighting challenging. Rana met with an accident while he was on the first floor,” said Garg.

The injured fireman’s colleagues said that due to darkness and smoke, Rana’s vision was completely blocked, leading to the fall. He, however, did not sustain any burns, said a colleagues who did not wish to be identified.

The fire was closed around 10.30 am, said an official from the fire control room.

First Published: Feb 02, 2018 10:51 IST