Plea to adjourn LS today in memory of Thackeray
A strong plea for adjourning the Lok Sabha on Thursday in memory of late Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray was made at an all-party meeting convened by Speaker Meira Kumar in New Delhi on Wednesday on the eve of the winter session of Parliament.
Shiv Sena leader in the Lok Sabha Anant Geete made the request to the Speaker and Parliamentary affairs minister Kamal Nath after the issue was raised by leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj.
NCP chief and agriculture minister Sharad Pawar backed the proposal, sources said.
There have been precedents of adjournment of Parliament for the day as a mark of respect to personalities who have not been members of either House.
Sources said Geete cited the instances of CPI(M) veteran EMS Namboodiripad and Jana Sangh chief Deen Dayal Upadhyay in this regard.
Both the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha will be making obituary references to Thackeray on Thursday.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The CPCB report released on Sunday said that there are over 112 sites in India that are contaminated by toxic and hazardous substances.
- An infection is said to be endemic in a population when it is constantly maintained at a baseline level in a geographic area.
- The BJP dismissed the allegations as “baseless” and hit back, saying that the AAP should answer why the construction of the Signature bridge in north-east Delhi faced delays.
- Appropriate allocation of funds in this regard will be made in the upcoming Delhi budget that is likely to be presented this week, he added .
- In February that year, just before Holi, he went back to the Sadar Bazar trader with the water gun he had produced and also the Chinese one.
- Experts said such initiatives will ensure that the only continuous green space in the national capital is preserved.
- A host of functions to honour women have also been scheduled at different police stations and DCP offices.
- Adesh Gupta has also started ‘mandal pravas’ (stay in each municipal wards) to connect with the party workers and supporters.
- As part of the revamp, new CCTV cameras, with better technology for improved clarity, additional escalators, bird spikes to prevent tripping of the overhead electrification (OHE) due to bird menace, were also installed.