Delhi twins fell head first into washing machine, got trapped: Police, relatives
The Rohini twins had fallen head first into the machine, trapping each other and leaving them with no room to get back on their feet, police and relatives said.
The twins who drowned in a washing machine at their residence in Delhi’s Rohini on Saturday had fallen head first into the machine, trapping each other and leaving them with no room to get back on their feet, according to police and their relatives.
The horrific accident occurred when the three-year-old boys’ mother Rakhi stepped out to buy detergent and other household items, after having set up the machine and filled it with water for laundry at 12.39 pm.
Rakhi had removed their clothes to give them a bath. While she was away, the twins climbed on a pile of clothes as high as the semi-automatic washing machine and fell inside.
When she returned, approximately “six minutes later”, she could not find the children, who had been playing in the house in Avantika Apartments in Rohini Sector 1, and informed her husband Ravinder.
The mother initially thought that the children were kidnapped and they scanned CCTV footage outside the house for 45 minutes before their father discovered the boys inside the washing machine.
“The mother of the boys had kept piles of clothes on the ground near the machine for washing. It appears that one of the kids first climbed the heap to see what was inside the machine and fell inside head on. The second child must have followed his brother. Since both of them fell head on, they were choked. There was no way they could have come out,” said MN Tiwari, deputy commissioner of police (DCP) Rohini.
“They came into this world naked, they have left naked,” said the boys’ grandfather.
While Rakhi is a home maker, Ravinder works as a manager at Kotak Mahindra. They have another son.