Renee Sen isn’t running away from her surname: I’ll never take it for granted or allow anyone to do that
Choosing a 15-minute-long short film to make her acting debut, Renee Sen, elder daughter of actor Sushmita Sen, wants to impress the audience little by little. Admitting that she’s “well aware of the privileges” attached to her surname, she clears that she isn’t letting the “weight of it” concern her.
“I’m not running away from my surname. I know it comes with a lot of responsibility and the love I’m getting is because of my mother, the kind of work she has done. But I’m not taking the pressure or else I won’t be able to do a single day’s job. And, I’ll never take it for granted, nor will I allow anybody else to take it for granted,” says the21-year-old.
While people might think she got an easy launchpad, Renee clarifies her mother didn’t make any calls for her.
“Maa said you want to act, you figure it out. So I’m doing it step-by-step. If it’s easy, would I have valued it enough? I don’t think so. I’m aware of the uncertainties of this profession. Maa tells me to keep grounded, complete my education so that ‘No one can tell you, you’re less than anybody and you don’t make anybody feel like that’. I want to be self made. I’ll approach directors, show Suttabaazi (her short film) and request them to consider me for their projects,” shares the actor, who’s pursuing a double major in psychology and sociology.
Excited how everyone in the family from her mother to uncle Rohman Shawl (Sushmita’s boyfriend; model) and sister Alisah reacted to her debut and gave her encouraging feedback, Renee adds, “Maa is obviously there to guide me. But she wants me to take my own decisions, make mistakes and learn.”
But does being constantly compared to her mother ever bother her? “I find it weird being compared with maa. Her body of work, the life she has led, those shoes are too big to fill,” she admits.
Referring to the nepotism debate, Renee further adds, “When I watched my mother act, it was inspiring, and I wanted to do this even before I knew the word nepotism. We all look up to our parents. Is following your parents’ footstep nepotism? There’s glamour attached to the industry, so people are more interested about how it functions, that’s why there’s a little more attention on showbiz.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Author tweets @Shreya_MJ
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan, who welcomed their second son earlier this month, got a visit from Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora and Karisma Kapoor.
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.
- Alia Bhatt has shared a sunshiny new picture on Instagram and she looks stunning as ever. Check it out and try to spot a cute little cat in the picture as well.
- Suhana Khan spent her Saturday night with friends in New York. Shah Rukh Khan's daughter took to her Instagram Stories and shared a glimpse of her whereabouts.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.