Taapsee Pannu says it's 'tedious' to find male stars to do female-led films, gives Kangana Ranaut's example
- Citing the examples of Deepika Padukone, Kangana Rananut and Alia Bhatt, Taapsee Pannu has said that it is 'tedious' to find male stars to do female-led films.
Actor Taapsee Pannu, providing the examples of her contemporaries, has said that it is 'tedious' to find male actors to star in films with female leads. She said that not even Deepika Padukone and Kangana Ranaut are immune to this.
In an interview, Taapsee said that male stars rarely feature in female-led film, but women frequently appear in smaller roles in male-dominated movies.
She told The Times of India, "How many times do you see a male A-lister feature in a female A- lister’s film unless he is co-producing it, but the opposite happens all the time and no one bats an eyelid. It’s tedious to find actors to be a part of a film where the actress might have 10-20% more screen time."
She continued, "There have been times when actors, who have done lesser films than me, refused to co-star claiming there was nothing ‘heroic’ about their part. Not just me, Deepika Padukone, who has worked with such big names, had to work with a fabulous actor like Vikrant Massey in Chhapaak, Kangana Ranaut paired up with Jassie Gill for Panga, Alia Bhatt with Vicky Kaushal in Raazi, Vidya Balan with Manav Kaul for Tumhari Sulu. You see the pattern? Actresses never do that."
In an earlier interview, Taapsee had said that she can't afford to do fewer films, as she does not make the kind of money that male stars do.
Taapsee, who delivered a critically acclaimed performance in Anubhav Sinha’s Thappad in 2020, has several films in the pipeline, including Haseen Dillruba, Shabaash Mithu and Looop Lapeta. She said that she will begin filming Anurag Kashyap's supernatural film in March.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut, who earlier accused Vikas Bahl of inappropriate behaviour, thanked him for turning her career around with Queen. She said that he 'played a very significant role' in shaping her destiny.
- Shahid Kapoor aced the Centre of Gravity challenge, much to the surprise of his wife Mira Rajput, who called him a 'smooth operator'. Watch the video here.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has reaffirmed her wish to reconcile with the actor in a new interview, adding that she is ready to mend her ties with his brother Shamas.
- Rhea Kapoor dedicated an adorable Instagram post to her boyfriend Karan Boolani. She shared pictures of her showering him with kisses. See his reply here.
- Taimur Ali Khan was photographed in Mumbai on Sunday. The star kid was seen out with his father Saif Ali Khan and half-sister Sara Ali Khan.
- Sara Ali Khan shared two new pictures from brother Ibrahim's birthday party. More pictures were shared by one of Ibrahim's friends.
- Anupam Kher, who turned a year older on Sunday, shared a video from his birthday 'pawri' with his 'best friends'. Watch it here.
- Actor Vidya Balan has recalled feeling worried about how her family would react to The Dirty Picture. She revealed her mother and father's immediate reaction to the film.
- Twinkle Khanna, using an adorable photo of daughter Nitara kissing a puppy, urged everyone to wear their masks correctly instead of using them as 'chin straps'.
- Janhvi Kapoor celebrated her 24th birthday on Saturday, with the team of Good Luck Jerry. See inside pictures and videos from the celebrations here.