Dubai cheaper than Mumbai: filmmakers
Mumbai is becoming increasingly difficult for movie shoots.
Not only does it cost more than other towns in the country but it also means surmounting bureaucratic hassles, besides the proverbial greasing of palms.
A young filmmaker who doesn't want to be identified (but naturally) points out that when he had gone to shoot outside the Hanging Gardens, he had to get the permission of the municipal corporation, the water supply department there, and, the cops who wanted their own batch of permissions.
Believe it or not the filmmaker swears, pulling the skin on his neck.
It's less expensive to shoot in Dubai and Switzerland than it is on our roads.
A producer who recently completed a shooting schedule at the CST railway station, on the other hand, brags, I was allowed to shoot round the clock there. At most you can get the station for a couple of hours at night. I got the permission straight from Delhi.
Contacts are of the essence if you want to shoot in Mumbai, which incidentally is more used to camera crews and top actors landing up on the streets thansay, New Delhi, Chennai or Kokata are.
On the sly
But of late even the most oft-used city locations like Hanging Garden, Nariman Point, Apollo Bunder, Girgaum Chowpatty and Marine Drive are used only occasionally.
One way to beat the permission scam, filmmakers state, is to shoot early in the mornings or through hidden cameras.
Since the movie action has shifted to the deep suburbs, many crews opt to shoot outdoor shots in Andheri, as evidenced in practically every Ram Gopal Varma movie.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Keerthy Suresh shared an adorable video of her dog Nyke who is first seen running away from a robot vacuum cleaner and is then riding it like a boss.
- Raashi Khanna shared a few pictures from her playtime with her nephew Neil and called him the love and light of her life.
- Miley Cyrus shared a throwback picture of her and singer Nick Jonas. The two Disney alums were rumoured to be dating when they were younger.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.
- Irrfan Khan's son Babil got a detailed message from the actor's The Namesake co-star Kal Penn who said that he wasn't sure how to get in touch with the family to share his love and gratitude.
- Aelay is a fun, sweet film that gets so much right about life in a small village and their tradition but is needlessly long drawn.
- Sara Ali Khan has shared a few adorable pictures with cousin Inaaya Naumi Kemmu (daughter of her aunt Soha Ali Khan) and the two have been called ‘cuteness queens’ by the internet.
- Ranveer Singh's sister Ritika Bhavnani celebrated her birthday on Saturday and the entire Bhavnani family came together to celebrate the occasion by stepping out for a family dinner.