I'm cool about my sex appeal: Malaika Arora
When I'm told that she is dressed in a sari, I'm mammothly disappointed. Because slinky tops, slit skirts and oodles of oomph are her calling card.
I almost do a double take when I see her dressed in a traditional Bengali sari doing a devotional number for NDTV Imagine's DhoomMachaDe. And that motivates my first question:
How come a demure sari?
I've been showered with compliments, even by the spotboys. This is the first time I've worn a Bengali sari. The episode is a devotional special. The opening sequence has been choreographed so well that I've fallen in love with the mantras.
What about all the chaste Hindi in the script?
(Shudders) Don't remind me, it gives me palpitations.
You have lost quite a lot of weight.
I was down with gastro and even had to be hospitalised. I couldn't shoot for an episode of Dhoom Macha De.
My mother-in-law does, and even on the sets, people do that for me.
What drew you to Dhoom Macha De?
It's the team which did Nach Baliye. Initially, I was reluctant. Music and I? But it didn't take a lot of convincing to rope me in. The team treats me like a diva. They know I get cranky when I'm not fed and take special care of me. Ha ha.
You were sorely missed you on Nach Baliye 3.
I would have loved to be a part of it but NDTV Imagine was quick to pull me over.
What did you think of Nach Baliye 3?
I didn't see much of it. Whatever little I watched was completely over the top.. the focus was on everything but dance. I liked Jhalak Dikhlaja 2 better. The first two seasons of Nach Baliye were very good.
Wasn't the first one the best?
I agree. The dancers were better and there was the novelty factor. I had a lot of fun doing it. You could make a behind-the-scenes show out of the first two seasons. I have literally fallen off the chair once, laughing.
Apparently, there was a cold war between you and Saroj Khan.
No way. I'm the easiest person to get along with.
Did it bug that you were signed on primarily for your sex appeal?
I'm cool about my sex appeal. Why should I be apologetic about it? Moreover, I'm selective about my work. I host award functions, do a couple of shows, some films and I'm happy.
Your item song in
Welcomewas so shabby with even your stretch-marks showing up.
I haven't seen the complete song but those who have say that it doesn't do justice to me.
Why is EMI being touted as your first film as an actress?
They seem to have forgotten Bicchoo and Kaante. Pleeeaaase…! Bicchoo was supposed to be just one song. Then Guddu Dhanoa told me "Please yehek scene hai kar dijiye na… it's just a matter of an hour." I couldn't refuse. Even in EMI , it's just one track with Arjun Rampal. I'm not there from the first frame to the last.
Of the recent films you've seen, which would you have liked to be a part of?
I loved being a part of Om Shanti Om. I wish I were an eight-year-old and could have done Taare Zameen Par. I also wish I could have been a part of Khosla ka Ghosla and Life.. in a Metro.
I know of several mothers of adolescents who don't like their sons looking at you.
(Laughs out loud) I think women have problems with other women universally. That's why it is said that a man can be a woman's best friend and a woman her worst enemy.
Do you ever Google looking for snippets on yourself?
Very rarely since I'm not a narcissist. My sister Amrita does. She Googles for information about herself and the whole wide world.
When the two of you hang out together you look like Mirinda ke saath Kurkure free.
What rubbish! We have a common set of friends, so it's natural that we should hang out together.
What's up with your husband Arbaaz Khan?
He is freezing his butt off in Chandigarh shooting for Kisaan.
(Laughs) No Kisaan as in farmer. He is also doing a home production, a PVR film, Fashion, and has just finished Woodstock Villa. And if I may say so, he is looking super sexy in it.
As your son Arhaan grows up, there may come a time when you're uncomfortable about him seeing some of your work. Are you prepared for that?
That's an interesting and valid question. Right now, he is a kid. If he doesn't see the Khan family on TV, he wonders what else we could be doing. He loves to see me on TV. Yes, I'm aware it could be awkward at some point.
As he grows up, his upbringing will make him understand that it's only work. Also as far as possible, I never behave like a celebrity parent. And I hope all the stuff which could make him feel awkward will be filed away in the archives by the time he grows up.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Alia Bhatt has shared a sunshiny new picture on Instagram and she looks stunning as ever. Check it out and try to spot a cute little cat in the picture as well.
- Suhana Khan spent her Saturday night with friends in New York. Shah Rukh Khan's daughter took to her Instagram Stories and shared a glimpse of her whereabouts.
- Rakhi Sawant's Bigg Boss 14 colleague Vikas Gupta met her mother Jaya Sawant and cheered her up ahead of her cancer operation.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Keerthy Suresh shared an adorable video of her dog Nyke who is first seen running away from a robot vacuum cleaner and is then riding it like a boss.
- Raashi Khanna shared a few pictures from her playtime with her nephew Neil and called him the love and light of her life.
- Miley Cyrus shared a throwback picture of her and singer Nick Jonas. The two Disney alums were rumoured to be dating when they were younger.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.
- Irrfan Khan's son Babil got a detailed message from the actor's The Namesake co-star Kal Penn who said that he wasn't sure how to get in touch with the family to share his love and gratitude.