Intimate pics of William-Kate spark palace outrage
Intimate pictures of Prince William and Kate Middleton on their honeymoon have been made public by an Australian magazine, causing an outrage in the British royal family. There was an unofficial agreement among news organisations that...entertainment Updated: Jul 13, 2012 11:04 IST
Intimate pictures of Prince William and Kate Middleton on their honeymoon have been made public by an Australian magazine, causing an outrage in the British royal family.
When the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge jetted off on their 10-day romantic break to the Seychelles last year, there was an unofficial agreement among news organisations that they wouldn't print or publish photos of them on their holiday.
But now, more than a year later, Australian magazine Woman's Day has decided to splash an unauthorised photo across its July 16 front cover showing the royal couple walking hand-in-hand along a beach, the Daily Mail reported.
Inside there are another 15 pictures, some showing the couple in the water, as they relaxed on North Island in the Indian Ocean.
The headline on the front 'Our island paradise' wrongly appears to suggest the couple approved the publication.
In the main photo Kate's bronzed, taut stomach is clearly on display in a tiny black halter-neck bikini with gold detail, while search-and-rescue pilot William is seen in a bright pair of board shorts.
The unknown photographer, who appears to have used a long lens, seems to have escaped the eagle eye of the coastguard who reportedly patrolled the beach to protect the couple's privacy.
Prince William, 30, and Kate Middleton, 30, married on April 29 last year.
The Duke and Duchess are said to be 'upset', while royal sources have expressed their 'surprise' about the decision to publish the photographs.
They stressed that the Duke and Duchess's feelings were as strong today as they had been last year."They feel it is a significant invasion of a very private, special time," they said.
"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge considered their honeymoon to be a very private event after their hugely public wedding. For this reason they asked the media to respect their privacy. That is something they continue to do so," a St James's Palace spokesman said.
The publication of the honeymoon photos is likely to rile the Duke of Cambridge especially, as he has been trying to protect his new wife from press intrusion following the death of his mother Diana in a Paris car crash in 1997.
It's not the first time an Australian magazine has got into trouble with the Royals.
In 2008 there was a 'media blackout' and the British media officially agreed with St James's Palace not to publish the fact Prince Harry was serving in Afghanistan.
First Published: Jul 13, 2012 10:35 IST