Shubrajyoti Barat: After Mirzapur, people came to know I exist!
Mirzapur and Article 15 actor Shubrajyoti Barat has religiously done theatre for over two decades. But now, he wishes to focus on films and OTT series.
“I have spent many, many years of life doing theatre but we all know it’s tough to sustain with that medium. At a younger age, one can do it for passion but it’s no longer cute not to have money! So, for money, right now my preference is film and digital medium,” the actor said.
On his UP connection, he said, “I am a Bengali and was born in Kolkata but our four generations have lived in Varanasi. I was 10-years-old when my uncle brought me to Varanasi where I studied at St John’s School. Then we shifted to Mumbai.
“My association with the city is very strong and a lot of Varanasi lives in me. Probably, I spent my formative years there so I feel very connected to the essence of the city. And, the city gave me my biggest show which made me reach the masses. Earlier, my friends, relatives and people in the theatre world knew me but after playing Rati Shankar Shukla in ‘Mirzapur’ people know that I exist in this world.”
The actor has done three films in Lucknow. “Since my uncle later shifted to the state capital so I kept coming to the city very often. Then my plays kept bringing me to the city regularly. I played a cameo in Anubhav Sinha’s yet-to-be-released film ‘Abhi To Party Shuru Hui Hai’. Thereafter, I shot my favourite film ‘Article-15’ in the outskirts and finally ‘Madam Chief Minister’ in 2019, where I play a political leader.”
He was pursuing engineering when he got attracted to performing arts. “In 1993, I joined Nadira Babbar’s theatre group and for 14 years did plays with them. I worked with others also but then theatre was my only calling. Later, I did small roles in serial ‘Jeevan Sathi’, film ‘Ghanchakkar’, ‘Rukh’ and others,” he said.
The actor is currently shooting for a web-series, a thriller, in Mumbai. Later, this year, he will be part of Saina Nehwal’s biopic where he plays her (Parineeti Chopra) father with actor Meghna Malik as his wife.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Nakuul Mehta’s wife Jankee Parekh revealed how her life has changed after the birth of their son, Sufi. She said that she is busy with mommy duties, leaving her little time for social media activities.
- Gauahar Khan revealed her father has been admitted to a hospital. The actor took to Instagram and shared pictures of how her husband Zaid Darbar and in-laws are supporting her.
- After Instagram account Diet Sabya pointed out the similarities between Arshi Khan's look at the Bigg Boss 14 after-party and Lady Gaga's look at the MTV VMAs 2020, fans responded.
- Devoleena Bhattarcharjee, who did a brief stint on Bigg Boss 14 filling in for Eijaz Khan, has rubbished rumours that she was getting married in 2021.
- Aly Goni shared a happy picture with Jasmin Bhasin, his first after Bigg Boss 14 ended. The two fell in love on the popular reality show.
- Rubina Dilaik and Abhinav Shukla were on the verge of separation, but they rebuilt their relationship on Bigg Boss 14. Here's how.
- Rakhi Sawant's first post after Bigg Boss 14 has left her friends and followers in awe of her resilience. Rakhi recently shared a picture of her mother in hospital, where she is undergoing cancer treatment.
- A video of comedian Kapil Sharma lashing out at the paparazzi earlier this week has divided Twitter. While his fans wished him well, others were 'perturbed' by his behaviour.
- Sidharth Shukla fans were in for a treat when he posted a short video of himself taking a dip in a swimming pool. Check out his post here.
- Asim Riaz on Tuesday proudly posted a picture of his girlfriend Himanshi Khurana's Times Square billboard. Here's how she reacted.
- Bigg Boss 14 runner-up Rahul Vaidya said that his proposal to Disha Parmar on the show was not a publicity gimmick. He said that he could not fake 'special emotions' to garner votes.