Brazilian clothes brand removes image of Hindu deity from shorts
A Brazilian fashion clothes brand has removed ads for its line of shorts for men and women that used an image of Lord Ganesh, one of the most revered deities of Hinduism, in response to complaints of sacrilege.
The Jon Cotre brand based in Sao Paulo state said the ads were removed from its website and it stopped making the shorts.
“I apologize on behalf of the company for what happened. Our intention was never to ‘trivialize’ or offend,” a spokeswoman for the firm said.
Lord Ganesh, readily identified by his elephant head, is one of the best-known and most worshipped deities in the world’s third largest religion which has about 1.2 billion followers. He is the patron of intellectuals, bankers, scribes and authors.
India’s ambassador in Brazil, Suresh Reddy, spoke to the company’s owner Jon Cotre to explain the sensitivities related to using images of Lord Ganesh, the embassy said.
Cotre immediately agreed to remove the images and material from his stores, the embassy said in a statement.
A Hindu cleric based in the United States, Rajan Zed, had criticized the inappropriate commercial use of Lord Ganesh images, complaining about “religious appropriation, sacrilege and ridiculing entire communities.”
(This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text.)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Priyanka Chopra recently showed how to slay a formal look with a Work From Home twist in a beautiful blue shirt worth ₹17k.
- For a recent shoot, Mira Rajput donned a beautiful yellow sundress that was adorned with intricate floral print. The fashionista looked absolutely breathtaking in the dress and we are bookmarking it.
- One of Priyanka Chopra's Work From Home looks garnered more attention than the rest. Her fans loved her dark copper coloured formal blouse which she accessorised with statement gold jewellery.
- For a recent photoshoot, Alaya F donned a gorgeous abstract print co-ord set and looked absolutely breathtaking in it. The actor added her own touch to the outfit by the way she styled it, we are taking notes.
- Silver kaliras and an off-white lehenga is what fashion designer Natasha Dalal opted to wear on her wedding day. The groom Varun Dhawan also twinned with his childhood sweetheart and wore a sherwani in the same colour. The couple of the hour looked like royalty on their special day.
- Watch: Sonam Kapoor Ahuja spills the beans on her 3 favourite hair care products for the times she wants to be 'romantic' or when she opts to be 'less fancy' in this ‘Vanity Vignettes’ video