Ethereal, other-worldly: A look at lunar fashion through the years
Over the decades, before and after Man landed on the moon, it has served as inspiration. Most of the world’s largest fashion labels have had lunar-inspired collections. Ethereal and striking, some of these creations also made it off the ramp and onto real-world red carpets.
In 2016, for instance, Nicole Kidman wore an Alexander McQueen gown — black, dusted with ‘stars’, the moon unfolding in its seven visible phases at the waist and hem.
Donatella Versace’s autumn-winter menswear collection for 2016-17 was a tribute to space missions, particularly NASA’s, with bomber jackets made to look like tin foil, some of them covered in embroidered constellations.
To commemorate the 45th anniversary of the moon landing, Nike released a limited-edition Nike Air Max Lunar90 SP, sneakers with a moon crater print drawn from real photographs, and red and white stripes on the back right heel paired with blue and white stars on the back left heel, as a tribute to the Americans who had gone where no man had gone before.
And in 2010, Giorgio Armani’s Spring Couture collection was luminescent and all about the moon. With a giant crescent moon forming the backdrop of his ramp and reflecting on the runway, the models showcased shimmering gowns, black jackets with crescent moon-like lapels — everything had a sheen as if moonbeams were reflecting off the creations.
And then there was the designer Pierre Cardin, so smitten by the vision of men landing on the moon that he visited NASA and became the first civilian to ever put on the spacesuit worn by Buzz Aldrin. He then designed his own spacesuits for NASA.
But before all that, in the same year as the moon landing but before it actually happened, Cardin held a 1969 show titled Space Age and Futurism, featuring shiny capes and dresses whose hems flared like rockets.
To designer Nachiket Barve, fashion inspired by the moon or anything related to space travel, is an eternal theme.
“There’s nothing like ‘in-trend’ now as everyone wears whatever they want. But look at any period since the moon landing, and you will find the moon as motif. We’ve kept going back to the momentous event in celebration, and as inspiration. Currently, you’ll see the space-suit reflected in athleisure outfits — the puffer jacket, the silver foil material. It can be seen in brands around the world.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Gauahar Khan has been sharing snippets from her honeymoon in Udaipur with hubby Zaid Darbar. However, her fans cannot help but swoon over the stunning outfits that the actor wore on her trip. Her latest images wearing a makhmal suit has been making headlines and we are taking notes.
- Telugu star Ram Pothineni shows how to break the monotony of menswear when it comes to ethnic style. The actor was seen promoting his latest release, Red, in designer Kunal Rawal's purple potted flower kurta
- Sara Ali Khan is the latest celebrity to visit the Maldives and have a gala time. The actor is also giving us major holiday fashion goals in her beachwear.
- For a recent Ask Me Anything session on her Instagram account, Deepika Padukone wore an uber cool knit vest and left us speechless. The actor answered various questions such as the first thing that she does in the morning and her favourite thing to cook during this session.
- Snuggle but with fashion and Mira Rajput Kapoor, in a knit cape with a high neck, shows us how to keep the finger firmly placed on the sartorial pulse this cosy winter season
- Sara Ali Khan leaves fashionistas in awe of her classy feminine style and flirty edge in a red and navy blue checkered cocktail dress with a flattering side draping and we can’t help swooning either
- Another day, another sultry look by Karisma Kapoor and we can’t help but prepare a sartorial diary to recreate her killer styles for our next date night with bae. Want to send the fashion police on red alert? Check out the diva’s puff-sleeved dress
- Milan Fashion Week 2021: Miuccia Prada, Raf Simonsosy, Fendi, Ermenegildo Zegna and even K-Way establish that comfortable indoor-wear leaves its mark on outdoor styles for menswear autumn-winter collection
- Mira Rajput and Shahid Kapoor are currently holidaying in Goa and the mother-of-two is flaunting her enviable curves in some of the most fabulous beach wear. Their pictures are making us crave for a vacation as well.