Fashion for the janta
As designer Anita Dongre readies to launch Anita Dongre Interprêt her new western wear prêt label-she is once again applying the sensibilities of mass appeal.
Targeting the ‘Indian woman-who wants-to-indulge for special occasions', Dongre has split her signature label to accommodate aspiring fashionistas.
"Today's women prefer an exclusive look for their evenings out," explains Dongre, who already has three designer labels under her-AND, MO and Anita Dongre Indian Soul.
Priced at an affordable Rs 1,800 onwards, Anita Dongre Interprêt will be for those who don't mind spending that extra bit if a designer piece appeals their fashion sensibility.
"As opposed to AND, where clothes are trendy yet simple, with Interprêt I will pay attention to details and experiment with cuts and fabrics," informed the designer.
Tarun Tahiliani, who once scorned the concept, also has his own prêt line called TT, priced at Rs 1,500 upwards.
In short, the Indian fashion industry is undergoing a sea change. A-list designers, who till some time ago were creating designs ‘exclusively' for rich socialites, are now ‘going public'.
On power with
Fashion brand, Sepia-launched with Priyadarshini Rao as the designer – is priced at Rs 700 onwards. Sepia targets the demography of young, fashion-conscious Indians.
Rao describes the line as one that's "overseen by a designer but not exactly designer wear." According to her, it's a range that could easily compare with brands like Mango, Zara or Promod.
The advantage, as Rao explains, is, "My own label Priyadarshini Rao starts at about Rs 2,000 for mens shirts and Rs 1,500 for womens tops, going up to Rs 8,000 for prêt wear. But at Sepia, one can easily find nice linen men's shirts for about Rs 1,300."
The brand, however, will experience a change from April. That's when Rocky S takes over from Rao. Still, the USP of Sepia will remain the same-mass appeal.
And then, there's Sabyasachi Mukherjee… Not content with just the wardrobe, the man has also made a foray into bedrooms and bathrooms.
His tie-up with Bombay Dyeing has resulted in a line of bed and bath linen, priced between Rs 180 and Rs 2,220.
Mukherjee says, "BombayDyeing, with some 400 retail stores, is an ideal distribu tion network for a collection like this inexpensive, but very good quality."
The collection, meant for mix-and match homes, combines leather cushions from London with patch work dhurries from Rajasthan.
Designer Salim Asgarally's home furnishing range has been around for three years now, and comprises cushions, throws, duvet sets and accessories, priced at Rs 800 to Rs 18,000.
"I'd been designing home ware for exports to the U S west coast and the Gulf for a while. It made sense to launch my own signature line," explains the designer, who also styles entire homes on request.
With the fashion market overflowing with new designers every day, the established ones-it seems-are targeting the up-and-coming middle class. After all, this is where the money is.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Aditi Rao Hydari sets mercury soaring with her sizzling look in a white gathered top with smock detail and a pair of carpet print pants that are ravishing enough to make fashionistas’ jaws drop in awe this weekday
- ‘Ready Shetty Go’: Shilpa Shetty Kundra dolls up in a handcrafted red and white Bandhani shirt and skirt on Women’s Day 2021 to shoot for another episode of Super Dancer Chapter 4 and fans can’t stop swooning over her outfit of the day
- Janhvi Kapoor and Kriti Sanon were spotted during their casual day outs in Mumbai. Both the actors opted to wear similar outfits which included a basic top teamed with a pair of distressed denims. That is not all, they even went for similar accessories and were seen wearing black footwear and carrying tote bags. We are a fan of this casual look as well. What about you?
- Shraddha Kapoor shared pictures of herself looking like a dream in a gorgeous golden and blue lehenga choli set at the wedding ceremony of her cousin Priyaank Sharma with Shaza Morani. However, the stunning outfit was made by a brand that has been co-founded by her masi Padmini Kohlapure.
- Singham star Kajal Aggarwal makes jaws drop in awe as she remains at the top of her fashion game in a wine discharge print organza saree while looking forward to a grand release of Mosagallu and one of her highly anticipated movies of Tollywood, Acharya
- Priyanka Chopra recently shared an image of herself wearing a beautiful turtle-neck sweater. The special thing about it was that the jumper was knitted by the actor's mom, Madhu Chopra while she was staying in London.
- Want to make the traffic stop and bae go weak in the knees on your next date night? Take fashion cues from Parineeti Chopra’s latest smoking hot look for Marathi Filmfare Awards 2021’s red carpet, in a backless sequinned midi dress, which has set the mercury soaring like never before
- Athleisure has made its way into our wardrobes and it is here to stay. Celebrities also love a good lounge wear set which they can wear at home and also run last minute errands in. However, Disha Patani and Kiara Advani are giving athleisure a summer twist with bright and bold colours and we love it.
- Mouni Roy recently shared images from a new photo shoot wearing a gorgeous bright red kurta, ijaar pants and bandhani dupatta. She looked like a dreamy dulhan in the images. All the brides-to-be take note.
- Model and celebrity chef Chrissy Teigen made her desi fans extremely happy as she danced to the Varun Dhawan and Parineeti Chopra starrer Bollywood song Jaaneman Aah from the film Dishoom.
- Nora Fatehi has a collection of dresses that ranges from minis to everything you can think of. The fashionista, who is often snapped in a beautiful attire, loves a good dress and we always end up taking inspiration from her sartorial picks.