Emma Watson style jackets, as she wore in her new release Harry Potter and Deepika Padukone’s casual ‘tee and shorts city girl’ look in the just released Break Ke Baad seem to be catching up as a big fashion rage.
The trend only reasserts the fact that fashion is often defined by the movies we watch. From Carrie Bradshaw to Scarlett O Hara, long after you have watched the movie, the image of a protagonist and her style often stays on. Ira Dubey, who starred in the chick flick Aisha, says, “As an avid fashion lover, it was fun to be a part of Aisha. In a truly fashionable style, we got to mix and match stuff from Janpath to Oscar De La Renta.” Amitabh Sehdev, from Luxottica says, “The fashion and film association has always fascinated people. So we decided to screen some of the most iconic movies in association with PVR.”
We talked to some fashion and film buffs and asked them what has been their most fashionably inspiring film and why.
The trend it heralded: The cowboy look
Designer Rocky S says, “Indian Jones brought the trend of the rugged look. The fedora, leather jacket, khaki shirt and the trousers and his iconic hat can never be forgotten. Deborah Nadoolman Landis gave the character a distinctive casual yet rough look.”
The trend it heralded: Love for labels
Designer Anand Bhushan says, “SATC is the perfect example of how you introduce taste for fine fashion. From Carrie, who is a sucker for labels to Samantha whose style is oopmhy and sensual, the girls are bound to take leads from the fashion of these women.”
The trend it heralded: Slick style & heels
Designer Anand Bhushan says, “The Devil Wears Prada works for every woman, whoever feels empowered because she loves to dress. High heels and high street labels formed the core of the movie as it highlighted looking good was as much an important part as your work may be. It also has terrific styling.”
The trend it heralded: Feminine chic
Actor Ira Dubey says, “Casablanca is a fashion lover’s delight. It is black and white but it’s like a fashion mood piece. You see flawless style, tailored and feminine clothes. Ingrid Bergman looks splendid in gowns. The fabrics too reflect the mood of the movie. Men too are seen in suits to complete the fashion experience.”
The trend it heralded: The little black dress
Dubey says, “Everything about Audrey Hepburn in the movie has become a cult fashion essential. From gloves to sunglasses to that dress, the pearl strings and the head brooch — the movie was epic as it set trends that became classic. The film struck a chord because in the movie, the central character is not a rich girl but she still manages to look stylish. It reinstates that the view that fashion is not just about couture cash and it is only about a sense of style that comes naturally.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Athleisure has made its way into our wardrobes and it is here to stay. Celebrities also love a good lounge wear set which they can wear at home and also run last minute errands in. However, Disha Patani and Kiara Advani are giving athleisure a summer twist with bright and bold colours and we love it.
- Mouni Roy recently shared images from a new photo shoot wearing a gorgeous bright red kurta, ijaar pants and bandhani dupatta. She looked like a dreamy dulhan in the images. All the brides-to-be take note.
- Model and celebrity chef Chrissy Teigen made her desi fans extremely happy as she danced to the Varun Dhawan and Parineeti Chopra starrer Bollywood song Jaaneman Aah from the film Dishoom.
- Nora Fatehi has a collection of dresses that ranges from minis to everything you can think of. The fashionista, who is often snapped in a beautiful attire, loves a good dress and we always end up taking inspiration from her sartorial picks.
- The high-end fashion house Dolce&Gabbana had filed a defamation suit against an Instagram account in the Italian court in 2019 and are seeking USD 600 million in damages.
- Kangana Ranaut looked radiant in a pink anarkali kurta with full, churidar sleeves, a white churidar and a self printed white dupatta. The Queen actor's look is perfect for the blazing heat of Mumbai.
- Janhvi Kapoor turned 24 today and in order to celebrate the day, we are taking a trip down memory lane and checking out the times she looked marvellous in ethnic attires.
- Allu Arjun is celebrating his 10 year wedding anniversary with wife Sneha Reddy. The fashion icon can carry every style with the utmost comfort and these pictures are proof.
- Sohail Khan's son, Nirvan Khan attended Ibrahim Ali Khan's birthday bash wearing Salman Khan's denim jacket. The piece or art jacket is worth ₹1.2 lakh.