How celebs went beyond conventional hairdos and made offbeat hairstyles cool
When it comes to fashion and beauty trends, celebs often pave the way. With celebrities like the Kardashian sisters, Selena Gomez, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, and Emma Watson opting for an unusual pixie, or a chic fade, uncanny hair styling is becoming the new normal. According to experts, increased experimentation by celebrities, complemented by developing technology and extensive use of social media has been contributing towards the rapid evolution of the industry.
Arpit Jain of Auraine Botanicals, which brought GKhair, a global hair care brand to India, said that the last decade had witnessed a “drastic makeover” in the hair industry. “Previously people never expected much for their hair and were hesitant to experiment and to try new products or colours. But, they are doing that right now - be it a haircut, colour, styling, hair treatment,” he said.
For instance, a fad was triggered when Emma Watson chopped off her long “Hermoine locks” right after she completed filming the Harry Potter series, to get a pixie crop. Closer to home, people followed Anushka Sharma’s cropped hair look from PK. A slew of new hair trends can also be credited to the social media bloggers who have played an important role as influencers. Jain added that there was a visible shift from “classic” hairstyles to trendy alternatives like an angled bob, or going for neon coloured hair. “New looks are inspiring people from different walks of life,” he said.
The rapidly developing technology has transformed everyday use products like shampoos and conditioners into now catering to all kids of needs, be it cleaning the scalps, repair frizzy ends, repair hair condition, or conditioning the scalp. The contemporary hair products come with UV protectors, heat protectors, with added moisturizers and natural oils which are essential for healthy hair. Sanjay Dutta from the Looks Salon franchise said the use of nano-technologies and bio-technologies were no longer “unheard of”. “They are now being used by premium brands across the world,” he said.
Keratin treatments, hair extensions, hair correctors along with new innovative hair tools like hair dryers, tongs, wands and irons are becoming daily use objects. “Today’s salon visiting crowd is beauty conscious as well as aware. This has encouraged salons to use latest products that are backed by latest technology,” Dutta added. The development in the industry has opened up styling avenues not just for women but also men, who are now turning “metrosexual” in their outlook. “They are no more just swapping designations with women in beauty industry. Men are becoming more aware and experimental with their looks,” Dutta said.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shraddha Kapoor shared pictures of herself looking like a dream in a gorgeous golden and blue lehenga choli set at the wedding ceremony of her cousin Priyaank Sharma with Shaza Morani. However, the stunning outfit was made by a brand that has been co-founded by her masi Padmini Kohlapure.
- Singham star Kajal Aggarwal makes jaws drop in awe as she remains at the top of her fashion game in a wine discharge print organza saree while looking forward to a grand release of Mosagallu and one of her highly anticipated movies of Tollywood, Acharya
- Priyanka Chopra recently shared an image of herself wearing a beautiful turtle-neck sweater. The special thing about it was that the jumper was knitted by the actor's mom, Madhu Chopra while she was staying in London.
- Want to make the traffic stop and bae go weak in the knees on your next date night? Take fashion cues from Parineeti Chopra’s latest smoking hot look for Marathi Filmfare Awards 2021’s red carpet, in a backless sequinned midi dress, which has set the mercury soaring like never before
- Athleisure has made its way into our wardrobes and it is here to stay. Celebrities also love a good lounge wear set which they can wear at home and also run last minute errands in. However, Disha Patani and Kiara Advani are giving athleisure a summer twist with bright and bold colours and we love it.
- Mouni Roy recently shared images from a new photo shoot wearing a gorgeous bright red kurta, ijaar pants and bandhani dupatta. She looked like a dreamy dulhan in the images. All the brides-to-be take note.
- Model and celebrity chef Chrissy Teigen made her desi fans extremely happy as she danced to the Varun Dhawan and Parineeti Chopra starrer Bollywood song Jaaneman Aah from the film Dishoom.
- Nora Fatehi has a collection of dresses that ranges from minis to everything you can think of. The fashionista, who is often snapped in a beautiful attire, loves a good dress and we always end up taking inspiration from her sartorial picks.
- The high-end fashion house Dolce&Gabbana had filed a defamation suit against an Instagram account in the Italian court in 2019 and are seeking USD 600 million in damages.
- Kangana Ranaut looked radiant in a pink anarkali kurta with full, churidar sleeves, a white churidar and a self printed white dupatta. The Queen actor's look is perfect for the blazing heat of Mumbai.
- Janhvi Kapoor turned 24 today and in order to celebrate the day, we are taking a trip down memory lane and checking out the times she looked marvellous in ethnic attires.